Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:56 PM   #1

Default The heart of photography

In the end, it's not always the most beautiful photos that endure. Instead, it's the ones that bring back poignant memories. This grainy, out-of-focus snapshot was taken one morning 22 years ago when my husband gave our son a bladeless razor, smeared lather on the little guy's face, and our son then proudly showed me how he was shaving just like his daddy. I've taken far better photos, but this is still one of those I love best:

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:08 PM   #2

Oh, I love this picture! I have two little ones myself and it's capturing the memories that are important, too!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:15 PM   #3
djb

great pic!!!! i remember my dad doing that with me!!! i thought i was a real grown up then!!! ha ha ha!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:16 PM   #4

Keep chasing those little folks with your camera. The little guy in the above picture is now a very big guy of 25 years, but I'm still zooming in on him. When we're old, our greatest fun will be looking through books of these memories, cackling, and telling outrageous lies.

djb-- Little did you know at the time what an annoying task shaving would become, right?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:31 PM   #5
djb

Barbara, yeah!!! now i hate shaving but, don't like a beard either.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 7:11 AM   #6

Barbara, a great shot : grain and out of focus give a plus to it !

Well, according to your explanations it should have been taken in 1981.
Why does it remind me of the seventies ?
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:24 AM   #7

Barbara

Great shot. Great pictures produce great memories. This one should produce memories for years to come.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:50 AM   #8

Default Re: The heart of photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
In the end, it's not always the most beautiful photos that endure. Instead, it's the ones that bring back poignant memories. This grainy, out-of-focus snapshot was taken one morning 22 years ago when my husband gave our son a bladeless razor, smeared lather on the little guy's face, and our son then proudly showed me how he was shaving just like his daddy.
Funny that you posted this because I was thinking this would be a great shot. My son is 2 1/2 and I would like to do this shot with him. Trouble is, where am I going to get a "bladeless razor"??? Maybe an antique shop?
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Why does it remind me of the seventies ?
I can't imagine, Sergio. It was most definitely taken in 1981, which was, of course, really rather close to the seventies.

Quote:
Trouble is, where am I going to get a "bladeless razor"???
My husband took the blades out of one of those cheap disposables. I think it was a Schick. So that's how you can do it. Go for it, then post the resulting photo for all of us to enjoy.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoultry
My husband took the blades out of one of those cheap disposables. I think it was a Schick. So that's how you can do it. Go for it, then post the resulting photo for all of us to enjoy.
He doesn't usually watch me shave, so he probably wouldn't know what to do with the razor. Hopefully we'll be ready for a photo next year.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote