Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Bride in Dress

Several weeks back a friend asked me to shoot her soon to be daughter in law in her wedding dress. I had to wait until after the wedding to share anything online. They are now happily married so here are a few examples.

This was a first for me so any feedback and suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

Andy

griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:14 PM   #2

#7, #8, #10 are my favourites, I don't like "formal" shots and "cheese" smiles

White bridal dresses can give you a headache at times, so these came out pretty well to my mind.

Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:25 AM   #3

Andy,
8 and 10 strike me as the best of the lot. 10- because it looks spontaneous and the red petals are a wonderful contrast to the white dress.

8-because she seems to be syaing to the viewer come into my world and let me tell you about it. Ny only nit-pick with 8 is that I think showing the bottom of the dress would give it a complete ness now lacking.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:30 PM   #4

Agree with thkn on this....7, 8, 9, 10 stand out from the rest.

Thank you for sharing these.
Cherokee Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:13 AM   #5

No 10 would be my favourite as well.....Red adds to the colour of the picture....
Canon Lens EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS
Canon Lens EF500mm F4L IS USM
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro
Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Wide angle
hanalwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:35 AM   #6

Those are really good photos. As you are aware, dynamic range is not one of digital cameras strongest points & shooting a white dress without out blown highlights yet getting in the detail of a darker background sufficiently is pretty tricky. (It does appear that the day was overcast at least somewhat & that just the right flash fill was employed.)
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:51 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Hi Andy,

Pretty good for a first time out. It's always hard when thinking of new things.

Here are my thoughts. In general the white balance is all over the place. This used to be a major issue for me, I now just use manual WB and the problem is gone. 90% of the time I use flash white balance as even though I don't use flash that often it gives a nice original film look to the photos, you might like using another one but just keep to the same thing for the whole shoot.

#1 Over flashed. The general rule with lighting is natural over reflected and reflected over flash. It looks like you had good light so use that, it will create much better shape to the face etc.

#2 Good location but bride straight on to camera so makes her look big. Again, too much flash

#3 Better lighting, we have shape in the face but still straight on to camera.

#4 I like the leading lines of the path and the light is good, but she is broad lit, if the head was facing the other way this would be great (apart from body straight on).

#5 Straight on to camera including head and arm just dropped to side so not interesting. The angle of you to the wall is great and really works well.

#6 Works much better than 5, still straight on with body but head rotated which is good although a little far.

#7 This is a fun shot, with her leaning back and the legs hiding the body she has been slimmed down.

#8 My favorite photo, posed well apart from being straight on (there is a theme LOL), the chin rested gently works well rather than lots of weight going on it. The composition is also nice.

#9 Similar to previous shots about head turn and body position.

#10 Oh, if it were only for the fingers. You are safer to go a little wider in this sort of shot just in case then crop in. The colours really lift the photo and it's just a good bit of fun.

Please don't take this comments as being negative, they are things that I wouldn't expect to be correct on a first shoot, but if you want to improve they are well worth considering.

Looking forward to the next time out.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:04 PM   #8

Thanks guys for taking time to comment. I was surprised to see new responses as it has been a while.

Mark,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

First off WB has been my nemesis since day 1, and I think I am finally making at least some headway on that (since this shoot).

I really appreciate you taking the time to point out much needed areas of improvement. It all makes perfect sense if I can just make it happen the next time.

I will re-read your points over and over and hopefully some of it will sink in.

Thanks again to everyone,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:48 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffina6 View Post
Thanks guys for taking time to comment. I was surprised to see new responses as it has been a while.

Mark,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

First off WB has been my nemesis since day 1, and I think I am finally making at least some headway on that (since this shoot).

I really appreciate you taking the time to point out much needed areas of improvement. It all makes perfect sense if I can just make it happen the next time.

I will re-read your points over and over and hopefully some of it will sink in.

Thanks again to everyone,
Andy
I hope you don't make it all happen next time as some of these things I forget still. I'm struggling more than usual due to the language barrier of the people I shoot as Arabic is the main language here. I just go for little bits but does mean that I can't always get the pose I desire. Keep at it, try to learn from each shoot and you will get there. I still now find that after a wedding (just back from one now) I find things I wish I had done differently. Today's experiment has been using the lighting of the videographers rather than flash for a lot of the shots. Well probably 25%. It's a new technique and I will see how it went. I was getting annoyed with the white balance issues so set a custom setting for using their light and then had the manual setting for when I wanted to use flash.