Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Default my first wedding

heres a few i took of one of my best friends wedding last weekend...some turned out pretty good and some didnt..i rented the 24--105 4f lens..i know i learned a lot and still got a long ways to go...but hey ya gotta start some where's i guess.... the groom and best man
Attached Images

kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:26 AM   #2

ahh what the hell couple more lol
Attached Images

kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:26 AM   #3

im really glad you posted these and would love to hear your/others crituque i think you have some good shots here and am i right saying no pp as been added? i would really like to here your experiences on your first wedding as i have been asked on 4 occasions now and turned them all down .

the portrait of the kids is great , the water one is excellent and the last i like but would try and clone the woman from the middle should be easy using the bricks the others are good also but getting in the right position in the limited time to catch the shots must be a nightmare
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Good that you shared as I don't see many others posting weddings here (I have one next week and one the week after so will ensure to get them up ASAP). Oh to shoot a daylight wedding, the one this week starts at 10.30pm, fortunately here using flash in the service is expected so I don't have to pull out the fast primes, even so natural light would rock.

How did you like the 24-105 on the XSi (btw you have SXi in your signature)? Did you find it allowed a wide enough angle?

Sounds like you are keen for some input and ideas so let's take them one at a time (I'm usually too lazy to do so but love wedding shooting so much it's worth it).

#1 I would have gone for a different crop and lost the hands as the mobile phone isn't doing any favors, also getting them into shadow would make the faces nicer. I like the wooden background, it works nicely.

#2 Slightly under exposed and a lot of dead space in the top of the frame which you could lose. If you had framed right to bring the groom more in and lost the bridesmaid that would be a stronger photo, having half a groom in the foreground is a bit distracting.

#3 Lovely light and exposure, again the dead space at the top of the frame and if it can be helped it's best to have the groom looking happy

#4 Nice shot, good exposure, ideas for another time, frame tight on the couple and the guy smiling (I'm guessing the official whatever he is called in the US) so they are not centred, go in totally tight just on them (portrait or landscape) or go wider. This is a little too in between as you get some info in the background but not enough so it is distracting.

#5 A cute shot of the kids, posed well, natural and relaxed. A couple of things to be aware of, firstly you have the 'bunch of bananas' syndrome with his hand making it look big and uncomfortable. The next is white balance, this shot is very cold so needs a fix. Something I've started doing recently based on lessons from a 17 time Kodak Gold award winner (so who am I to disagree) is to shoot everything with the white balance set to flash. This will give quite a traditional film look (which I like) and also more importantly it will give consistency to all your shots. If you are shooting indoor without flash then this will likely need changing but in normal light or using flash it works really well. It has hugely reduced my colour correction time as either I do it as a group or more often nothing needs doing.

#6 Love it, great exposure, I like the frozen water and the shot brings out the character of the groom which is exactly what we should be doing at a wedding.

#7 This has a lot going for it, one thing that a lot of people don't do is get low but as seen here it really helps. It is an area I struggle with as I'm 6'6" tall so have a way to go to get to a normal height let alone low angle. I'm not overly worried about the person behind them but the composition is just normal. Get them off to the side, put some angle into the shot. The path here could be your biggest friend, position yourself a bit further left (obviously if possible) and then have the path leading to them so they are off to the middle/top right of the frame and the path starts bottom left.

I hope that doesn't seem too negative as for a first time they are good, I just wanted to give you things to think about for the next time out.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:05 PM   #5

mark would you suggest shooting all shots with flash ?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
mark would you suggest shooting all shots with flash ?
Nope not at all. I do use quite a lot of flash outdoors just to reduce shadows but not to over power the shot. Also flash can help to even up an exposure where there is a bright background etc. However, if you can use natural light then it looks lovely for sure. I still use the flash white balance though even when not using the flash.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:18 PM   #7

someone told me to shoot raw and use flash ..... i wouldnt know LOL im going to give the white balance a go set as flash test it on my wife
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:03 PM   #8

mark when you mention 7 i must be real paranoid i always hate my pictures if there is the likes of odd arms or legs that dont belong to anyone maybe this is my downfall i can understand at the ceromony and party but in 7 the shot is based on the groom and wife?
thats why i mentioned the clone ..... its a real easy fix too and to me would produce a much better shot ignore the cartoon i got carried away but dont you think it looks better without the legs?

Last edited by simple; Jul 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I agree that it's true about the legs not being there, but the couple were strong enough not to worry too much about them assuming we are only talking album shot and not an enlargement. When it comes to going large then clean is the way to go.

On my 2nd wedding I think, not sure, that was 3 years ago, I shot a whole series of portraits near a pool and there was a bright orange life saving ring in the background that I didn't spot. It was killer to clone due to the lighting and the wall that it was on. I'm not planning on making that mistake again.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:17 PM   #10

haha .... i most probably will .... my son as been invited to a childrens birthday party next month so hopefully with permission i will get some event practise in..... thanks for your thoughts and input