Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Aug 30, 2010, 3:13 PM   #1

Default How to set up this shot

A friend has asked me to shoot a photo for their Christmas Card. They plan on printing about 250 of the same shot and mailing it to their friends.

He is an Emergency Medical Technician working with the Fire Department as a first responder to medical emergencies at home or after an automobile accident.

She's a Registered nurse.
Their oldest daughter is 15 and a volleyball player
Their second oldest daughter is 12 and a soccer player
The son is 10 and a baseball player.

They want the family photo to be taken with them wearing their uniforms. Dad wearing his fire gear, mom in her scrubs and stethoscope, kid in their sport uniforms. We can shoot the photo at their home, or in studio or outdoors. But I'm having real trouble figuring out a way to include the detail of what they do.

I don't want to lose the detail that it's a volleyball uniform. (I'll include soccer balls, volleyballs and baseball equipment. But how to arrange a family photo and include the uniforms is causing me trouble.

Any ideas on how to stage the shot(s)?

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2010, 5:31 AM   #2

I would think about getting them round a christmas tree as they are dressing in "work cloths", you need IMHO something that will be festive as part of the picture. using a tree as prop gives you scope to postion people round it. I will think some more on this
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 3:00 PM   #3

Each one with their own uniforms and using Santa hats?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 8:12 PM   #4

One thing you need to watch out for is the guy wearing his fire gear might have reflective stripping on it which could cause some issues especially if you use a flash...... My fire gear has bands of reflective stripping tape at ankles and on the jacket back and around wrists and front snap area.

When I take pictures of the people I don't use a flash at all or it messes the image up bring out the stripping blowing out the image overall.........

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Aug 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Dave is right - the reflective tape is like the 3M stuff on trucks these days - impossibly reflective. Either use available light or cover the reflective bands.

The only way I can think of to make this work is to go for a humorous pic. Have the kids wear their parent's uniforms, then do something goofy like practice first aid on each other. Mom and Dad play along in sports uniforms. Perhaps have the kids practice first aid on their parents, like they weren't up to the activity.
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6

From me I have some humor have them out side with dad holding a garden hose mom taking dads heart beat while not knowing what the kids are doing in what ever sport running around or posed around them as if they were... fact sounds like one hot dad with wife over looking over him while the kids are runnings around a lot in between...PS make sure the water is on...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7

and if you can put some pine trees behind them to make it more Christmas like......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:21 PM   #8

Ok so have a fake tree shot that you can lay over for future use of a Christmas tree on fire with presents beneath.... and the kids running around in despair and the parents doing as I mentioned before all that money for Christmas up in smoke!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:40 AM   #9

If you're into some creative pp, how about the kids decorating the tree with small volley/soccer/baseballs instead of baubels (photoshop these in afterwards), the mum draping bandages instead of tinsel and dad up his fire ladder putting the fairy/angel on top.

Last edited by MartinSykes; Sep 1, 2010 at 3:42 AM.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote