Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 4, 2010, 3:59 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Portraits at the beach, natural and off camera lighting

I managed to convince my wife to come out for a shooting session at the beach this evening.

I shot these with the 5DmkII, the first are all natural light and the sunset ones are with a 580EXII off camera left triggered with the 580EX. Lens was the 70-200mm f2.8 which was a bit long for the last shot but with all the sand I didn't feel like changing over.

Please give any CC possible as I still have a long way to go at this but feel I'm making progress.
Attached Images

Old Sep 4, 2010, 4:43 PM   #2

As always, they're terrific. If you will accept a suggestion from someone who couldn't have done nearly as well in the first place, I find the first photo a bit too dark on the left side of her face and under her neck. If a reflector could have provided just a bit of fill, I think it would have improved that shot.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:12 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice balancing of ambient light and flash--very natural looking. You've captured the essence of the golden hour! I especially like image #2. I initally liked #1, but then noticed the flick of hair--difficult to avoid when shooting at a breezy location such as a beach.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 5:36 PM   #4

I know it didn't just happen by accident so nice to mention for budding portrait photographers...notice how her fingers are always separated? a little. makes for a good more-natural shot.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:59 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
As always, they're terrific. If you will accept a suggestion from someone who couldn't have done nearly as well in the first place, I find the first photo a bit too dark on the left side of her face and under her neck. If a reflector could have provided just a bit of fill, I think it would have improved that shot.
It's true but my usual reflector holder was in the photos lol so we had to go as we were.

Glad you liked them
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:01 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Very nice balancing of ambient light and flash--very natural looking. You've captured the essence of the golden hour! I especially like image #2. I initally liked #1, but then noticed the flick of hair--difficult to avoid when shooting at a breezy location such as a beach.

Jehan
Tell me about it, she was getting frustrated with me mentioning hair, so as it was meant to be fun we didn't worry about it. I tried to remove in post but getting the background to match with the light fall off and the shallow DOF was too hard for just fun shots. Yep, I'm probably a bit lazy
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:02 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I know it didn't just happen by accident so nice to mention for budding portrait photographers...notice how her fingers are always separated? a little. makes for a good more-natural shot.
She's pretty well versed in fingers being a bit open so I don't have to worry too much about telling her. What I struggle with is knowing what to do with hands and posing, unfortunately she has no more ideas than me...... that's why I keep at it to keep trying new things and improve.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 1:38 PM   #8

You have a very beautiful wife! I like the portraits above and especially the idea of mixing the flash light with the beautiful sunset background. I tried it once and ruined the photo with the camera flash - didn't have the external with me.
I'm not that experienced to be able to critique someone's photos, but I think in the first photo you could've avoided those harsh shadows by placing your model in a different position. The 2nd and 4th are amazing!
For posing techniques, if you and your wife have some available time, America's Next Top Model is a good show to watch. It helped my daughter a lot in posing... for me - of course (she's only 11).
Old Sep 5, 2010, 3:00 PM   #9

The last one is really nice. Really, really nice.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:56 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks Hrisi and jgredline.

Hrisi, you are possibly right, get her out of the direct sun, however it was pretty low so even going right under the pier further there was still direct light (didn't look safe enough to go too much further).

jgredline, I like that one too, I just wish I had used a slower shutter speed to bring the rest of the beach and the background up a bit more..... live and learn. Also the flash needed to point higher to reduce the light on the sand..... I will get there LOL.

I haven't been fully happy with 2 due to the colour but couldn't work out for the life of me how to fix it. I'm pleased to say that someone did point me in the right direction so here is a modified version.
Attached Images