Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Son & Graffiti Wall

My son wants me to shoot his CD cover and other stuff that goes inside the Jewel case for the CD.

We did a trial run tonight. To get some ideas about what he might want.

He liked this shot for the cover, but I told him that my friends on Steve's could really make this a better shot next time.

Please comment. No offense will be taken. Just help me do this better.

Thanks!

Faithfully yours,
FP
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:23 PM   #2

If you are going to use this as the cover and place some text in the space on the left, I think it works. Otherwise there is to much dead space on the left. I like his expression.
I just noticed the sign behind him, it's a bit distracting.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Backgrouund somewhat confussing. Kid not in focus and dark. May be some fill flash can help.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:15 PM   #4

I would try to push out the green back ground in the next try of a shot and place some graffiti in the shot as long as the Graffiti is colorful ... have your son wear that shirt but take off the bag strap or is that a bag strap if its a Guitar strap at least have the neck showing.... and tell him a bit more smile... other wise great try on this one...

a fast moving train that has graffiti can be caught in motion and it will look great if you can find some where that you can get close enough to one that is moving.... as a back ground view that is but please do not go any closer than needed to gain one.... I and some guys down in Missouri had went to Ark to their home town and had gotten a family member only this way with put planning it out... I will have to find the neg and have it redone to show what I mean and that could be a while but I can always come back with it....

Take the clues to where to shot off the titles of the songs.... if you are close to a river or brook a great place to shoot....
Good luck! and do tell the name of his CD so I can pass it on as well my sons are into music besides all the rest of life.....

Last edited by SharpShotGal; Sep 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5

And take care of measures:

Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:37 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i think you have too much wall to the left, enough that it is distracting. beyond the aforementioned major problem of your son being out of focus and underexposed.

i think also you could get his guitar into the mix a little bit better as well. try shooting from some lower vantage points and including your son completely. strong directional lighting from some overhead lights in a parking lot/garage or other industrial areas can work well for this type of shot when u use them at angles to make some nice shadows. though you will most likely need to fill flash for face detail.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:32 PM   #7

First, thanks for all the replies so far, and I will use them when we do this again.

I think I needed a greater DOF. This was my first shooting with a 1.2 lens and I shot everything at 1.2 just to see what it looks like.

I imagine that the first photo posted should have been shot at about a 2.8 which would have brought his entire face into sharp focus, rather than just the tip of his nose, or what ever minute part of his face was in focus.

I also thought that the back of the sign would be even more blurry, so I was not as concerned about it as I should have been. Last, I was trying not to use any flash at all, but I probably should have used a flash off the camera, maybe bounced it off something to my right and behind me to get a good angle to the right side of his face that was against the wall. And you're right, there is too much wall in the shot.

Here's a different photo. It was taken at the same railroad underpass with the same graffiti.

Your C & C is again appreciated more than I can express!.
Attached Images

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:41 PM   #8

Much better!
I would like your son to look straight at the lens.
Looking nowhere weakens the pick.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:45 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I agree with Ordo. Overall its a better pic, minus the random staring into the distance.

But it still doesn't really convey anything that makes me think it belongs on a CD cover.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:03 AM   #10

CD as in Music cover for a CD should show some kind of indication of Music...once he becomes popular then they can get along with out a type of prop... ie Guitar horn drums etc... that is still to much wall I would crop some of it but then again you need room for the Title and Artist.... and a song or two.... I still would have him think of something that would make him smile some .... Those blue eyes stand out better in the last shot but they could come out with more twinkle in them as well if he was to smile some....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote