Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 19, 2010, 8:45 PM   #1

Default Jazz - a b&w

I really love B&W but I dont shoot it much, not really sure if my shots come out ok for it.

Been working on balancing light and dark

C&C wanted Please

what do u think?

thanks for looking
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:03 PM   #2

The b/w part is looking good...For me the composition could be better...It's to busy...To much clutter...Just my opinion though...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John at the Beach View Post
The b/w part is looking good...For me the composition could be better...It's to busy...To much clutter...Just my opinion though...
I agree, what is our subject, who should we be looking at, what is that right across the front of the frame getting in the way. There is a lot of potential here as it is an interesting scene, but just too much going on and no colour to lead the eye.

I love b&w, I'm just waiting for a couple to request an entire wedding in it.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:49 PM   #4

yeah the scene here was incredibly busy, a fence behind the band, umbrellas, tables, a street, cars, buildings, all cropped out, then band equipment, more tables umbrellas,

I did not want to really to stand up in get in people's way so I picked a decent spot that I could stand and get a panning view of the band, though I must say the clutter is indeed apparent. More so now that youve mentioned it. I do have the uncropped shots but fear they're all going to suffer the same fate of the distracted backgrounds. I really thought the B&W would bring out the mood, the band was playing under a covered wooden canopy that is pretty much underground, so the street level is actually eye level to the roof and therefore the background is completely blown from being backlit, so the lighting was terrible.

Enough of my excuses, must get back to some PP to try for the next one

cheers
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
I did not want to really to stand up in get in people's way so I picked a decent spot that I could stand and get a panning view of the band
Personally speaking, I see this allot and it is more a lack of confidence. When shooting a performer, I believe a great deal of injustice is done to them when you don't capture the essence of who they are, who he is or who she is. Believe me, They are performers and if you got up and personal, they would appreciate it all the more. Don't worry about what any one else thinks, just do it..Get in there and do it..Show a couple or three images of the scene if need be. As far as black and whites go, they can be very powerful and more detailed than color if you capture the mood..I say this not to be critical, but to encourage you. Get out there and go again.

jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Thanks alot for the demonstration and advice, I will remember that. A lot of it is the beaming eyes on me when Im out taking pics, I guess I need to get over that and stop shying away

Edit: great pics by the way, your B&W's are a great part of my inspiration