Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:16 PM   #1

Default First Wedding 5D II.

I just want to post some of my 1st wedding shots I did last week, out of 1.300 pictures I gave them 500 of them to pick out 100 for their album, they are friends of mine and they were happy with the pictures, but I would like from wedding photographers to at least tell me if I did an ok job for my 1st wedding thanks

will post a few more.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:20 PM   #2

Thanks for viewing.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:19 AM   #3

Nice ! Very nice indeed!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4

Very nice. Some of the best I've seen, especially for your first time.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:47 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Hi Hercules,

Shooting weddings is interesting isn't it

Having the B&G happy with your shots is key so you've done good there.

No let's break it down a bit, in all the photos you need to decide what you are going for, is it just the subject or do you want context (story) as well. On top of that we have all normal compositional things and especially at a wedding we want emotion, excitement and joy.

Don't forget these are my thoughts, we are all different so my tastes could well be different. Also this isn't a bash at you but rather hopefully it will help you out if you do something similar again.

1. Groom arriving at a guess, just not an interesting composition with him slap in the middle, the car cut in half and not being straight. I would personally see this as a portrait orientation shot, tighter to remove the other distractions.

2. Bride, horrible lighting for you to work with and she is squinting so due to that it would instantly have been taken out of the photos shown to the client. Also you have your shadow on the wheel and the car although you did a bit of an edit to get rid of it on the ground. Make sure you are not working with the light directly behind you in that case. Best thing, get the driver to move the car so you are shooting more flattering directions.

3. Biggest problem for me here are the eyes, we are close up on her and the main focal point is hidden as her eyes are closed. I rarely include eyes closed photos as there is no connection to the subject. The other thing is we have part of the story missing, there is more going on that we can see so rather than the floating hand shooting landscape to bring in the other party would help. This shot would be great after the crown (I guess that is what it is) has been put on.

4. The light in the background doesn't help things out and nor does the wiring over the door, the main thing is we are missing the emotion, they are both hiding their heads and you are shooting high. I would have brought this in as a tighter shot on the couple and the church official. Also this isn't straight/not tilted enough. I would always go straight or obvious tilt if that is your desired style in the shot.

5. My favorite photo of the series, nice dof giving them enough separation and still telling the story of the guests there as well. It's framed well, just the pose that could have been a bit more dynamic.

6. To me this looks like a snap taken by a guest not a 'photographer', he looks dazed rather than happy and there is no connection between them. This kind of shot you want them engaging with each other.

7. Not a fan of having them right in front of the tree, moving them to the side so the background is further away to add separation would have helped. The are connected in this photo just his hand is uncomfortable. Best thing to do with hands if you don't have anything else is to lose them in a pocket. Some like whole hand in, some like thumb only in, some hand in but thumb out. All work better in general than uncomfortable hands. Also, it seems she wants to pass the flowers to him, tell her to keep them, in next to the hip is good.

8. This doesn't look comfortable for her. I like that you've not got her looking into the camera, but it's better to turn the head and have the eyes centered otherwise you get what we have here which is lots of white to the side of the eye. I still suffer with this when I'm rushing on not looking at every aspect. You've done well with the hands as you are not shooting the backs but more the sides which is good. The one over the leg is a bit 'bunch of bananas' but not terrible.

9. The main issue here is the flash is over powered so not nearly as soft, the pose is fine, I would just get the hand off of the knee and drop him down onto the arm similar to the other side but that's about it.

10. I really like the lighting here, so much nicer than the previous, using the wall for a similar shot to 9 would have been lovely The leading in of the walls works well too. The don't look comfortable, especially her, he is sort of bending her forwards and her face is showing little emotion. I would have stepped left a little so the wall didn't cut through his head/body.

11. Nice pose, but unfortunately her expression says to me "I've had enough, I'm tired and bored". The lighting is looking OK, not too harsh, what did you use here?

12. Main thing to change here is to bounce the flash rather than direct, that shadow is hurting you. Possibly a but if WB adjustment too.

13. I like the idea, but you have the distraction of the black (not sure what) in the background and also the rings a dead centre.

14. Nice action and interaction of the guests, but with you shooting from a standing position you've just got a shot the same as any guest. For this it's going to be the same as photographing a child, get down to their level, or lower. If you were down at the floor level this would have been a total winner of a shot, especially if there was a moment with her face a bit clearer. After getting the wide angle like this (but lower) then the tighter shot in on her with her new husband in the background slightly OOF would be great then switch to having him sharp and her doing her thing at the front but OOF.

I hope you take these points in the way in which they are planned which is to help you out next time rather than me just picking up on everything I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Check this out, very interesting for work of first time (or at least early stage wedding photos...... some are better than I'm doing a lot of the time). http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/919613
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6

nice shots, herc. 5's my favourite of the lot. I agree with mark on #2's harsh light causing some problems, and although i like #9 from a pose/expression standpoint, the flash is a bit harsh.

I also really like #14, #13, and #1. they work for me!

great first attempt! It is really stressful. I hate doing it (w. photography) but I'm a pushover who can't say no!!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bock1965 View Post
Nice ! Very nice indeed!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Thank you
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Hi Hercules,

Shooting weddings is interesting isn't it

Having the B&G happy with your shots is key so you've done good there.

No let's break it down a bit, in all the photos you need to decide what you are going for, is it just the subject or do you want context (story) as well. On top of that we have all normal compositional things and especially at a wedding we want emotion, excitement and joy.

Don't forget these are my thoughts, we are all different so my tastes could well be different. Also this isn't a bash at you but rather hopefully it will help you out if you do something similar again.

1. Groom arriving at a guess, just not an interesting composition with him slap in the middle, the car cut in half and not being straight. I would personally see this as a portrait orientation shot, tighter to remove the other distractions.

2. Bride, horrible lighting for you to work with and she is squinting so due to that it would instantly have been taken out of the photos shown to the client. Also you have your shadow on the wheel and the car although you did a bit of an edit to get rid of it on the ground. Make sure you are not working with the light directly behind you in that case. Best thing, get the driver to move the car so you are shooting more flattering directions.

3. Biggest problem for me here are the eyes, we are close up on her and the main focal point is hidden as her eyes are closed. I rarely include eyes closed photos as there is no connection to the subject. The other thing is we have part of the story missing, there is more going on that we can see so rather than the floating hand shooting landscape to bring in the other party would help. This shot would be great after the crown (I guess that is what it is) has been put on.

4. The light in the background doesn't help things out and nor does the wiring over the door, the main thing is we are missing the emotion, they are both hiding their heads and you are shooting high. I would have brought this in as a tighter shot on the couple and the church official. Also this isn't straight/not tilted enough. I would always go straight or obvious tilt if that is your desired style in the shot.

5. My favorite photo of the series, nice dof giving them enough separation and still telling the story of the guests there as well. It's framed well, just the pose that could have been a bit more dynamic.

6. To me this looks like a snap taken by a guest not a 'photographer', he looks dazed rather than happy and there is no connection between them. This kind of shot you want them engaging with each other.

7. Not a fan of having them right in front of the tree, moving them to the side so the background is further away to add separation would have helped. The are connected in this photo just his hand is uncomfortable. Best thing to do with hands if you don't have anything else is to lose them in a pocket. Some like whole hand in, some like thumb only in, some hand in but thumb out. All work better in general than uncomfortable hands. Also, it seems she wants to pass the flowers to him, tell her to keep them, in next to the hip is good.

8. This doesn't look comfortable for her. I like that you've not got her looking into the camera, but it's better to turn the head and have the eyes centered otherwise you get what we have here which is lots of white to the side of the eye. I still suffer with this when I'm rushing on not looking at every aspect. You've done well with the hands as you are not shooting the backs but more the sides which is good. The one over the leg is a bit 'bunch of bananas' but not terrible.

9. The main issue here is the flash is over powered so not nearly as soft, the pose is fine, I would just get the hand off of the knee and drop him down onto the arm similar to the other side but that's about it.

10. I really like the lighting here, so much nicer than the previous, using the wall for a similar shot to 9 would have been lovely The leading in of the walls works well too. The don't look comfortable, especially her, he is sort of bending her forwards and her face is showing little emotion. I would have stepped left a little so the wall didn't cut through his head/body.

11. Nice pose, but unfortunately her expression says to me "I've had enough, I'm tired and bored". The lighting is looking OK, not too harsh, what did you use here?

12. Main thing to change here is to bounce the flash rather than direct, that shadow is hurting you. Possibly a but if WB adjustment too.

13. I like the idea, but you have the distraction of the black (not sure what) in the background and also the rings a dead centre.

14. Nice action and interaction of the guests, but with you shooting from a standing position you've just got a shot the same as any guest. For this it's going to be the same as photographing a child, get down to their level, or lower. If you were down at the floor level this would have been a total winner of a shot, especially if there was a moment with her face a bit clearer. After getting the wide angle like this (but lower) then the tighter shot in on her with her new husband in the background slightly OOF would be great then switch to having him sharp and her doing her thing at the front but OOF.

I hope you take these points in the way in which they are planned which is to help you out next time rather than me just picking up on everything I see.

Check this out, very interesting for work of first time (or at least early stage wedding photos...... some are better than I'm doing a lot of the time). http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/919613
Hi Mark thanks for the tips and reply
on #1 I cropped it and this is how it turned out

I also added this photo as I liked how the grooms dad was looking at him

on #2 you are right I had no choice as the sun was right in back of me but I did not say anything to the driver as to move around of the church, I probably would of been screamed at lol.
now on #3 well could be true but I also have seen other pros that also have the brides eye's closed on some pictures but that could be a different story,
on #7 I should of had the groom hold her hand as well maybe.
#9 I only had the Canon 580 EX to work with and it did have to much power and should of maybe turned it down 1 stop,
on #10 it is strictly 5D II ISO 5000 no flash.
#11 same here as #10.
#13 the black thing is a vase with flowers that I should of cloned out.
Thanks for your help
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mr. Vandertramps View Post
nice shots, herc. 5's my favourite of the lot. I agree with mark on #2's harsh light causing some problems, and although i like #9 from a pose/expression standpoint, the flash is a bit harsh.

I also really like #14, #13, and #1. they work for me!

great first attempt! It is really stressful. I hate doing it (w. photography) but I'm a pushover who can't say no!!
Yes it is stressful thanks for the comment
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:48 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Hi Mark thanks for the tips and reply
on #1 I cropped it and this is how it turned out

I also added this photo as I liked how the grooms dad was looking at him

on #2 you are right I had no choice as the sun was right in back of me but I did not say anything to the driver as to move around of the church, I probably would of been screamed at lol.
now on #3 well could be true but I also have seen other pros that also have the brides eye's closed on some pictures but that could be a different story,
on #7 I should of had the groom hold her hand as well maybe.
#9 I only had the Canon 580 EX to work with and it did have to much power and should of maybe turned it down 1 stop,
on #10 it is strictly 5D II ISO 5000 no flash.
#11 same here as #10.
#13 the black thing is a vase with flowers that I should of cloned out.
Thanks for your help
I like that crop better for the first and the play with the father behind the groom is nice, watch the foot though to possibly crop part way up the leg in a position that doesn't make him look like an amputee.

With eyes closed I only go for them if it is a huge laugh so there is expression in the rest of the face to tell the story or when they are praying, apart from that try to avoid it.

I always beat myself up at the end of any shoot and then in review to pick up on all the details and changes for next time. I can't fix everything straight away but try to train my eye and my posing, lighting brain to make things better. The good thing for us is that the B&G don't often have the same expectations as we do, not saying we shouldn't produce good work or strive to improve but what we find fault with they just see themselves in a way not normally photographed.