Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:19 AM   #11

Hi DigMe,

Just so you and everyone else knows this, it's nice to get a compliment. I truly appreciate them. But if all I want is a compliment, I'll show these to my mother in law. She's crazy about our kids and loves every photo of them.

But the people who critique my work are the people who's opinion I value the most. Those are the people who help make me a better photographer. That's the biggest reason I post stuff here.

So, you're invited to speak your mind and tell me what you saw that worked and what stunk up your computer monitor. But if you could also include why something worked, or why it didn't work, that would be fantastic!

Thanks, Digme!

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:43 AM   #12

Ok, I'm never sure if that's what people want outside of the "photo critique" forum! There was nothing that stunk up my computer monitor though.

The lighting is too bright on #7 and #8 probably because of the time of day. That full on sunlight lighting is making some interesting photos a little less interesting. They would be much more interesting in the early morning...although good luck getting your teenage son to cooperate with that! You could maybe improve the lighting issue with some editing though. Also, if you have PS5 you might consider using content aware fill to get rid of the powerlines in the background (especially on #8). Same with GIMP + Resynthesizer plugin. Not a major issue but if it were me I'd get rid of them and just see how it looks and then undo it if it doesn't look right.

To me the face is a bit dark in the last pic.

Did you apply Gaussian blur to the left side/foreground of #5 or did the focus just come out like that? If you applied blur I'd also be interested in seeing how the unblurred original looks.

Again, nice pics though!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:36 PM   #13

Great pics FP,
Last one is Brilliant,9 or 8 has got to be his first album cover. 5 is a cracker. there all great. reckon you did a real nice job, sure he will be over the moon with those.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:19 PM   #14
Super Moderator

My stupid computer just lost all that I had typed so this is not as long as the original.

Good that you have some willing volunteers to photograph and you have captured some good shots.

Some general points first.

White balance changes through the series, I'm guessing you were using auto. I pretty much always use a manual setting now as consistency is key.

The other is PP, with some levels tweaks you could get more pop, also there are some that I would say have under exposed skin tones.

I think you have a front focus problem with the lens, a quick fix in micro adjust will sort that.

Some slightly more detailed points (not much due to losing the really detailed as mentioned).

#1 Hand cropped and collar moved with guitar strap, two quick fixes.

#2 Legs cropped too close to the feet, a little higher would make it look less like foot amputation. Also the hands (one of the major problems for photographers) generally look better not held. Have them apart and in different positions to each other. If there are two of something make them different.

#3 This works well, nice to mix up facial expressions in a set.

#4 The had in the pocket is looking uncomfortable. With tight jeans/trousers, just put a thum in.

#5 Interesting angle that works, however it highlights the front focus.

#6 Like the DOF and general shot, again the front focus can be seen in the road. The most major problem is growing out of his head. Always check your backgrounds

#7&8 have the same problems which is unfortunate as there was great potential. The lines converge into his head. Getting lower would instantly solve that. Also, in this sort of shot I would suggest a lower angle anyway as it adds power and creates a cool perspective. The same if you are shooting on a road/path etc.

#9, Cool shoot, just lost the hand again.

Last point (how often do I say that then write 5 more points?), you have lots of him straight on to the camera, the only ones where he is not are the seated photos. Mix things up more.

Hope that helps a little and looking forward to seeing the next time out!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:26 PM   #15

Hi Mark,

Even though you and I have never me, I would consider you my friend. And I truly appreciate all the help you have been to me. The advice you offer has been priceless. So as you read my responses, please do not think I am arguing with you. Itís more like a discussion of what I was doing or thinking (or not doing or not thinking!)

White balance changes through the series, I'm guessing you were using auto. I pretty much always use a manual setting now as consistency is key.

I shot these in Canon Raw, and I really had a hard time getting the colors to work correctly. It seems like Iíd get the red of his guitar spot on, but his skin was wrong. Or Iíd get the shirt right, but then his hands and face were different colors. The white balance processing was done using Lightroom. Any advice?

The other is PP, with some levels tweaks you could get more pop, also there are some that I would say have under exposed skin tones.

I think you have a front focus problem with the lens, a quick fix in micro adjust will sort that. I will check all the lenses for front focus issues. On a 70-200 lens, is it best to check for FF at 70mm or at 200 mm?

Some slightly more detailed points (not much due to losing the really detailed as mentioned).

#1 Hand cropped and collar moved with guitar strap, two quick fixes. Yes, Iíd like to correct both of those.

#2 Legs cropped too close to the feet, a little higher would make it look less like foot amputation. Also the hands (one of the major problems for photographers) generally look better not held. Have them apart and in different positions to each other. If there are two of something make them different.

#3 This works well, nice to mix up facial expressions in a set. I like 3 much more than I like #2. I will work on the hand placement too.

#4 The had in the pocket is looking uncomfortable. With tight jeans/trousers, just put a thum in. You are right again. I was not sure of what he should do with that hand. Iíll remember the hanging thumb!

#5 Interesting angle that works, however it highlights the front focus. I shot this from about 1.3 meters at 2.2f. Last time I did this, the side of the face was in shadow so I used a flash this time. However, the flash was on the camera. I just made a purchase of a wireless flash unit. Maybe getting the flash off the camera and a bit further away will help. However, I did set the flash to 1/64 normal power. I was trying to get the dof blurr for the wall leading up to his face in focus. I like the idea of this shot, but I need help in executing it better. Would it work better if I were further away from the subject?

#6 Like the DOF and general shot, again the front focus can be seen in the road. The most major problem is growing out of his head. Always check your backgrounds

The graffiti on the walls of the tunnel is what drew us to this location. How do I take advantage of the graffiti as a background, yet not have stuff growing out of his head?

#7&8 have the same problems which is unfortunate as there was great potential. The lines converge into his head. Getting lower would instantly solve that. Also, in this sort of shot I would suggest a lower angle anyway as it adds power and creates a cool perspective. The same if you are shooting on a road/path etc. Great tip!

#9, Cool shoot, just lost the hand again. At the moment the train came by, I had a fixed lens on the camera. The train is on top of a very steep hill. So I was standing on a hill, with my sons feet about at my waist. When I tried to get more of his hand, I lost the train behind him. I couldnít back up, without going further down the steep hill. If I go down the hill, Iíll be shooting at a even higher upward angle and thereby miss the train. I think I needed a shorter lens, by the time I realized it, the train was gone! YUCK!

Last point (how often do I say that then write 5 more points?), you have lots of him straight on to the camera, the only ones where he is not are the seated photos. Mix things up more.

Thanks again!

I think the photos of my daughter are better. Hope you have the opportunity to review them.

Again, I am in your debt for the sharing of your skills.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:21 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
Hi Mark,

Even though you and I have never me, I would consider you my friend. And I truly appreciate all the help you have been to me. The advice you offer has been priceless. So as you read my responses, please do not think I am arguing with you. Itís more like a discussion of what I was doing or thinking (or not doing or not thinking!)

I shot these in Canon Raw, and I really had a hard time getting the colors to work correctly. It seems like Iíd get the red of his guitar spot on, but his skin was wrong. Or Iíd get the shirt right, but then his hands and face were different colors. The white balance processing was done using Lightroom. Any advice?

I think you have a front focus problem with the lens, a quick fix in micro adjust will sort that. I will check all the lenses for front focus issues. On a 70-200 lens, is it best to check for FF at 70mm or at 200 mm?

#1 Hand cropped and collar moved with guitar strap, two quick fixes. Yes, Iíd like to correct both of those.

#3 This works well, nice to mix up facial expressions in a set. I like 3 much more than I like #2. I will work on the hand placement too.

#4 The had in the pocket is looking uncomfortable. With tight jeans/trousers, just put a thum in. You are right again. I was not sure of what he should do with that hand. Iíll remember the hanging thumb!

#5 Interesting angle that works, however it highlights the front focus. I shot this from about 1.3 meters at 2.2f. Last time I did this, the side of the face was in shadow so I used a flash this time. However, the flash was on the camera. I just made a purchase of a wireless flash unit. Maybe getting the flash off the camera and a bit further away will help. However, I did set the flash to 1/64 normal power. I was trying to get the dof blurr for the wall leading up to his face in focus. I like the idea of this shot, but I need help in executing it better. Would it work better if I were further away from the subject?

The graffiti on the walls of the tunnel is what drew us to this location. How do I take advantage of the graffiti as a background, yet not have stuff growing out of his head?

#7&8 have the same problems which is unfortunate as there was great potential. The lines converge into his head. Getting lower would instantly solve that. Also, in this sort of shot I would suggest a lower angle anyway as it adds power and creates a cool perspective. The same if you are shooting on a road/path etc. Great tip!

#9, Cool shoot, just lost the hand again. At the moment the train came by, I had a fixed lens on the camera. The train is on top of a very steep hill. So I was standing on a hill, with my sons feet about at my waist. When I tried to get more of his hand, I lost the train behind him. I couldnít back up, without going further down the steep hill. If I go down the hill, Iíll be shooting at a even higher upward angle and thereby miss the train. I think I needed a shorter lens, by the time I realized it, the train was gone! YUCK!

Thanks again!

I think the photos of my daughter are better. Hope you have the opportunity to review them.

Again, I am in your debt for the sharing of your skills.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
Glad it helped

I think your process is exactly right. I personally take on the thoughts of other photographers but I don't want to do everything their way. Sharing ideas is a great way for us all to learn

I think I've learnt more in the last few months than at any point regarding weddings and portrats.

Re the lens calibration, I use the long end as it is most eveident there, I think it is pretty close, just a couple of clicks.

WB is a pain sometimes, I would get one right then batch process if nothing else changed.

With #6, check again what is growing out of his head That is one I would clone. Usually with graffiti you just run with it. I've removed swear words etc before and the sort of thing in your photo.

With #5, I was't meaning the lighting, just the front focus, the light seems OK.

Did I miss anything?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:36 PM   #17

Default Question to all

When I shot these photos, it was a really bright, cloudless day. The sunlight also had a lot of glare.

I did not use a circular polarizing filter, but I thought about it AFTER we got back.

How might a cpf have helped the lighting issues I fought?

Thanks!
FP