Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:39 AM   #1

Default People in Prayer

When I take pictures, I take 5 or more shots of the same scene with a tripod. Each of the 5 pictures have different settings -- from too dark to just right to too bright. The HDR software I use then combines them into one image with hopefully no overexposed or underexposed spots that no one shot no matter what camera you use can take.

Anyway, I’m saying that because it takes time to take 5 or more shots. And when I do, people often wander into the scene. Most of the time the people are an annoyance because I will then have to wait for them to leave so I can retake the shot. But on occasion, they add interest to my shot, if not meaning.

Following are pictures I took at a church in New York City one lunch hour. I was taking architectural shots. I wasn’t concealing myself at all -- I was out in the open either crouched on the floor or sitting on a front seat with my camera on my gorillapod (a tabletop tripod) pointing at the scene while I took a succession of five or more shots -- some shots lasting 30 seconds to more than a minute -- when people walked into my frame and positioned themselves right where my camera was aiming and stopped to pray. So instead of photographing architecture, I photographed people.

Because of my photographing them for the entire duration -- from the moment they sat, stood, or kneeled down to pray to the moment they got up and left -- I had inadvertently observed in minute detail people who were in prayer.

I have to say that the sight of people praying oblivious to the world moved me. I was in a sort of daze when I walked out of the church. On the way back to work I cannot look into people's
faces in the streets of New York thinking how much I do not know about them. There are churchgoers and I’m sure there are those that are not and you can never tell which one is which.

Then again, if you looked hard enough, maybe you could. And you might come to appreciate one side more than the other.

#1) Prayer of thanks.

#2) Prayer of asking.

#3) Prayer of acceptance.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 16, 2010 at 7:43 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:48 AM   #2

Absolutely stunning shots with a lot of feeling to them. Lovely!

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 9:38 AM   #3

I concur with DS, great results! I like em alll but I think the woman in the 2nd one blends in with the ambience smoother than the others, The blue of her dress matches the marble and her jacket blends with the color of the wall.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what God is she praying to? It looks like a statue of a woman??
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:23 AM   #4

Thanks, Daniel and hkmp50.

I guess "camouflage" isn't really a word you'd use to describe a church scene but maybe the woman didn't want to be seen .

It's actually a side chapel inside the church building. I didn't check but I'm guessing that's the statue of the Virgin Mary.

#4) Nave. I'm not sure if incense was lit just before I came or that's just the regular NYC smog finding its way inside the church but the ceiling spotlights beaming down on the smoke made the scene very dramatic so I wanted to capture it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, Daniel and hkmp50.

I guess "camouflage" isn't really a word you'd use to describe a church scene but maybe the woman didn't want to be seen .

It's actually a side chapel inside the church building. I didn't check but I'm guessing that's the statue of the Virgin Mary.

#4) Nave. I'm not sure if incense was lit just before I came or that's just the regular NYC smog finding its way inside the church but the ceiling spotlights beaming down on the smoke made the scene very dramatic so I wanted to capture it.
Wow! The last pic is great as well. What kind of lens did you use in this shot?
Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:59 AM   #6

Nice series here. Like the last couple. The painted vaulted arch is a good choice of color, coupled with what appears to be stars. Add the haze and it would seem as one is peering into the heavens. Considering the sign..... as a sinner I would feel much more comfortable Repenting prior to climbing a ladder to Repaint here.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:20 AM   #7

WOW...!!!

You've really got the eye and the talent, vvcarpio...!

I actually love them all...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:22 PM   #8

What struck me about these is the invasion of privacy in the first two photos. Just curious: did you get the permission of the women before you photographed them?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:52 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
What struck me about these is the invasion of privacy in the first two photos. Just curious: did you get the permission of the women before you photographed them?
OMG not again!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:27 PM   #10

Thanks all, for the comments and compliments.

Daniel, I used (am using) a Tamron 18-200mm. I think it's a "consumer" lens, based on its low price (around $200 after rebate) and not the more expensive pro-line.

tclune, I appreciate your concern. If anyone has anything to add please pm.