Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:18 AM   #11

#2 looks like there is very pronounced arm hair which I found distracting. My vote is the larger version of #1.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:41 AM   #12
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
This is interesting so far. My background is graphic arts and I can appreciate these two images as artwork. Im guessing that the other two guys dont have that background and are looking at them as photographs. Seeing the blowup of 1 allows me to see the details I kinda missed on the original. I really like the job you did on the hair. 2 has a nice grungy look to the skin. What plugins are you using here.
I used Topaz for the previous images. I had onOne already and it created nice photographic effects while the Topaz plug-ins are slightly different and I'm still experimenting...

What I've found is you really need to zoom-in or greatly crop the images to see the various pleasing, or not, effects (especially on a full-frame):

I appreciate all the comments though... Thank you to everyone

Last edited by NHL; Nov 21, 2010 at 7:55 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:23 AM   #13

The courser (lower res) the photo the more pronounced are the effects of the plug-ins. On a 72 dpi file you can see easily, while on a 300 dpi file there is not much effect using the same settings. I dont know how to relate hi res and lo res to the settings used to apply the effect.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:05 AM   #14

i don't like how hairy her arm looks in #2 (in the first couple), and HDR always kind of annoys me when I can see that it's been done. Nevertheless i do like her face/hair in #2 very much!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:21 PM   #15

When you use cartoon or watercolor effects, you are blurring most of the detail in the photo, so it doesn't really matter whether you use a full size image or one resized to screen size. In fact, the smaller image will often show off the effect better, since the effects usually are based on radius factors in pixels, rather than a percentage of the whole image.
The cartoon effect seems to have preserved more detail in her hair than in the rest of the picture, and IMO defeating the purpose.
Personally, I think if you toned down the saturation in the HDR, it would be better - perhaps even a B&W conversion.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:05 PM   #16

NHL, I think that pic #1 is, in my opinion, the better of the first two. #2 of that set just makes me feel like it is too overdone, like she was in the tanning salon too long or something, just looks wrong. I do not have any art background so I am probably missing something that a formal education provides in this area so I guess you could classify mine as a generic uninformed opinion. The last pic looks like it could be used on the cover of a romance novel.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:55 AM   #17
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
... Personally, I think if you toned down the saturation in the HDR, it would be better - perhaps even a B&W conversion.
And I agree!
Thanks

Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:43 PM   #18

muuuuuch better!!!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mr. Vandertramps View Post
muuuuuch better!!!
Agreed!!
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 3:05 PM   #20
NHL

Thank you everyone for commenting.

My main objective was to evaluate Topaz, and after a week of playing with it on various images, I highly recommend it!
I finally acquired the bundled package as they have a great sale in effect at the moment which is hard to resist.