Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 1, 2004, 10:26 PM   #1

Default Before and after

Images removed
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:03 PM   #2

It's still fuzzy and too much contrast. Couldn't you take the lid off the scanner and place the album then.

I did a whole family album from the 1890's that way and the scans turned out fantastic.
M. Haner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:31 PM   #3

Well, the original is fuzzy and it's been in the frame for so long that the image had some serious flaws (see the upper left side and bottom center area). I tried scanning and couldn't get a copy to come out well at all. I wasn't able to remove the lid and had to sort of cock it in place which only amplified the flaws in the print.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:42 AM   #4

Ohenry,
considering evrything, the pic is very creditable. Maybe tone down the contrast a tad.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 9:42 AM   #5

Hey Ohenry!

Very interesting photo!

Tell us more on the history of this couple

You know the five Ws of any good "press release":

Who, what, why, where, when

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:37 AM   #6

Digcamfan...not much I can tell you about the photo and my wife isn't here to give me the details. I know it's at least 50 years old, quite possibly more. The lovely lady is my mother-in-law, who is now in her mid 80's and still a sweetheart. The gentleman was her husband and father of my wife. I'm not sure when he died but it was 30+ years ago.

Selvin...post the contrast comments, I quickly reloaded the retouched photo and played around a bit with it. I was able to tweak it down just a tiny amount before losing details. (-10 using Photoshop CS contrast/brightness adjustment). As I said, the print looked great and I didn't feel it was too contrasty. Perhaps, optimizing it for the web altered that a bit or it's just a difference between monitors. In any case, thanks for the comment. One thing that I have found about post-processing is that the end results are so subjective. It is very easy to get carried away and oversharpen or oversaturate the colors. But, there's the fun, n'est pas?