Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Blue Heron

Took this pictures with my new Nikon D3000 I purchased in May 2010. This shot was taken in June 2010 with my Nikkor 300 mm. Did not use a trypod.

Full shot.
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2

I like the cropped composition Calendula, but the shot is somewhat over-exposed. Did you do any post-processing? Maybe some levels tweaking may help a little. I find that on a bright day I have to remember a) to put my white balance on 'sunny' and b) tweak the exposure to minus 0.3 or even 0.7. But, like everything else - practice is the key. Hope we see more of your work soon.

Bernice
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:05 PM   #3

That camera works very well. If I may also make a suggestion on cropping, If you put the bird more to the right in the cropping you give the feeling that you can also look in the direction the bird is looking. That really helps with the overall effect and composition of the photograph. I hope this heps in the future ,I enjoyed looking! Frank

Last edited by hkmp50; Apr 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 2:29 PM   #4

Onlooker; thanks for your great tips, I now learned something about exposure. Very greatful for that. I did not do any post processing with the cropped picture but will try it in future.

hkmp; Yes, I am happy with the camera but do have sometimes problems with the focussing, I will for instance focus on the birds on the feeder and the focus goes first close then goes further away again when I try to click the button. I also find that it takes a second sometimes for the camera to perform again , think I heard somewhere that the battery takes time to recharge when that heppens? That is unfortunate because I have lost some good shots because of it.
The reason why I cropped around the bird because I was just interested in the bird itself (for another nature forum). So if I would have concentrated more to the left the birds would have been smaller then I wanted it to be. Also , to the left is an old, beat up boat house. Whatever, I do like and appreciate your suggestion and will play with it and perhaps send it again after the Holidays.
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote