Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:32 AM   #1

Default Grand Central Bride and Groom

I saw this pair at Grand Central yesterday. I don't think they're an item (though I could be wrong). More likely they are actors promoting something -- weddings at Grand Central maybe? In any case, I thought it was great opportunity to practice wedding shots as I've never done that before and who knows it could always be an extra source of income.

I wanted to post this in the critique section but you're only allowed 1 photo there. So, if you can think of improving these shots, please by all means fire away. Thank you for looking.

#1) F4, 1/4 sec, 10mm focal length. Minimal Topaz Adjust adjustment.

#2) F4.5, 1/4 sec., 24mm. Minimal Topaz Adjust adjustment.

#3) F4.5, 1/13 sec, 24mm. I wanted to show details outside the window so I increased speed to about 1ev. Topaz Adjust brightened up and brought out details in the foreground.

#4) Out-of-camera of #3 above.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:37 PM   #2

I think that portrait orientation would have helped.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:34 PM   #3

It's a good achievement, but I would say that the ghost images are somewhat weird.
I don't know why, in this so difficult light situation, you're using ISO 100 and long exposures as 1/4".
Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:36 PM   #4

I like it...Bride & Groom....in the wedding garb in the most unlikely spot...Grand Central Station.

I also like all the normal activity...blurriness...in the background while the two 'lovebirds' are still and in clear focus.

Quirky....highly unusual....also use of a super wide angle...kind of different from the usual portrait lens.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:33 PM   #5

Thanks a lot, tclune, Ordo, lesmore49. Your comments and suggestions were what I was looking for (because I didn't think of them).

I was using ISO 100 because I haven't experimented much with high ISOs on my camera. I will experiment more on high ISOs.

I was taking landscape because that's mostly what I've been shooting -- landscapes. I'll remember to use portrait mode when appropriate.

Same reason for the super wide angle, it was already mounted on my camera when I saw the pair. I didn't think of switching to my regular lens. (I had it with me at the time.)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:51 AM   #6

I like it - would have loved to have seen this with a fast telephoto lens

Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:44 AM   #7

Nice bokeh -- the blurred woman in blue jacket and jeans in the original looks less weird, too. I like it. Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:32 AM   #8

I agree that the blurred people are an improvement, but the blurred clock is a step backward. By my lights, you would want to compose to limit the number of folks in the background and keep the indicators of place as well as the symbolism of the clock for the wedding shot. If you want to blur the people for the symbolic significance of the couple wrapped up in their own world, your original approach of long exposure was the right idea. Or so ISTM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9

I think that's a very good suggestion. And I think I know how to do that, too, if this were a real wedding.

I'll have the couple pose and take a picture with my tripod-mounted camera. Then ask them to leave and take additional -2.0ev, -1.0ev, +1.0ev, +2.0ev shots of the scene. DPHDR, with its anti-ghosting tool, will place the couple (being in the 0ev shot) in the resulting HDR image.

I remember doing this type of shot with my wife at a waterfall.

Thanks a lot, tclune.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:31 AM   #10

A wedding picture in Grand Central is weird. I can't imagine anyone wanting to pose for conventional wedding pictures there, so get creative by breaking the rules and conventions of wedding photos. Keep the landscape mode to show the choice of location was deliberate and important. Keep the slow shutter speed because blurred people in wedding pictures is a no-no and Grand Central is not about being static. If you want to build a portfolio, ignore me and listen to the people who know about shooting weddings.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote