Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:17 AM   #31

#1 and #4 are my favorites.

1 is just WOW, blows my mind. How did you get it to be like that sketchlike quality? (I am VERY new to photography!)

4 is a great title, and fascinating colors

Well done all around!
Scottyent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:51 PM   #32

Thank you, Scottyent. I use Dynamic Photo HDR to first even out the lighting. Then I use Topaz Adjust to give it that "sketchlike quality" as you call it.

#18) Crashing.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 1:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thank you, Scottyent. I use Dynamic Photo HDR to first even out the lighting. Then I use Topaz Adjust to give it that "sketchlike quality" as you call it.
I just started playing with HDR shortly after I posted about yours! I love it! I hope that one day I can take shots that are as impressive as yours, but I still have lots of learning to do! Do you have an online store where people can purchase your shots?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:24 PM   #34

Thank you, Scottyent. Yes, I got hooked on HDR, too, as soon as I realized I was looking at an HDR image here. (Bynx pointed it out as being HDR when one member posted a pic.)

When a friend in the Catskills encouraged me to show my work at a restaurant (Uccelli's Restaurant in Mountaindale, NY features a different local artist each month -- Chef Robert Uccelli is a really nice, friendly, warm, and forthcoming person) I felt I needed to set up an online store in case a patron wanted to order. I used OSCommerce. But I took it down after my month's show until I decide how to sell them. Any suggestions are very welcome.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:24 AM   #35

Well, I am certainly by no means a pro about where and how to sell your photos, I was just wondering if you do sell them!

I have read quite a few articles about selling photographs, and one site that I saw recommended was http://fineartamerica.com/

Supposedly, its great at not only the store portion, but actually giving you tools to market yourself and get customers. Check it out!

If I had pictures as good as you, I think I would just have up a general webstore for photos, post your stuff all over the internet with backlinks, make some business cards with your site on them, hand them out where I can, etc etc.

You should just Google it and read through, there is a ton of info, and the good thing is that there are so many options that it shouldn't cost you anything to try a variety of ways. You could even set up your own basic wordpress site with a page that has your photo store embedded, so you can really control the experience when someone goes to your site!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:16 AM   #36

Thank you, Scottyent -- that website looks promising. I'll look into it some more when I have the time.

I have talked with a professional artist/photographer and an art dealer and I was surprised (maybe I shouldn't have been) they both said the same thing: "It's a long slow process." I take that to mean I'd starve if I didn't have a day job. Still, I managed to sell a few and aside from the income being good toward the purchase more gear, they boosted my morale which I don't think you can put a price on.

#19) Thumbsters. (Or, according to urbandictionary.com, people who can't spell.)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
I have talked with a professional artist/photographer and an art dealer and I was surprised (maybe I shouldn't have been) they both said the same thing: "It's a long slow process." I take that to mean I'd starve if I didn't have a day job. Still, I managed to sell a few and aside from the income being good toward the purchase more gear, they boosted my morale which I don't think you can put a price on.
I completely understand what you mean about the boost in morale. I agree that looking at the photography industry as a whole can be really discouraging because of how hard it can be to break in, but things like selling those pictures you mentioned is definitely the key to keep it going! I think that really adds fuel to your fire, and keeps you hungry. Even posting on here and having people really love what you do is a great morale and motivation booster!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:41 PM   #38

#20) National treasures.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:09 AM   #39

#21) "Silently sharing the same fears."
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:55 PM   #40

#22) Opportuning.