Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:05 AM   #1

Default First "Sportrait"

Got to play with some new gear last night and managed to convince my son to play along. Very little PP. Cropped and a little noise removal. The fire is real.

NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:28 AM   #2

the burning bat is a neat idea. The issue with the photo though is your son is very much underexposed. The shot is exposed for the fire. So, the combination doesn't work well for me because as a 'sportrait' the main subject should be the athlete. Additionally there's too much tension in him in that stance so he looks very uncomfortable. So while the burning bat is a really cool idea, I just don't think it works as a sportrait.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:33 AM   #3

The underexposure was my first thought as well before even reading JohnG's comment.

The fire is perfectly exposed though!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:09 PM   #4

Thanks guys! They are underexposed. These were our first attempt and intend to try again tonight weather permitting of course.

I can't decide if the tension that John mentions is that he was more afraid of the fire than he let on or if he was mad about getting pulled in front of the camera again.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:22 PM   #5

OK here's round two. Flashes at 1/2 vs 1/4 and a third flash through a DIY beauty dish.

Better?

Old Jul 26, 2011, 4:10 PM   #6

The exposure is much better and it's a very cool pic.

Next time you attempt something else along these lines you might try more variation in the light to create dramatic shadow instead of the whole thing just flat lit from the front. This could be done with a snoot, grid, flag, softbox feathering, etc..

Let me know if you object to me posting these links in your thread but here are some examples of what I mean:
http://bradcookphoto.smugmug.com/Peo..._8koeB-L-1.jpg

http://bradcookphoto.smugmug.com/Peo..._hgjTC-L-1.jpg

I love to play with the contrast between shadow and light and I think it adds a lot to a picture...especially pics like this that are at night or have dark backgrounds.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:11 PM   #7

Love those Brad. Always looking for ideas here. I have been spending a lot of time going through the strobist pool on Flickr for ideas. I'm just starting to learn to use these new tools. So please, any other suggestions you have are welcome.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:26 PM   #8

I think the first one is a better image it just needs exposure adjustment. The boy looks a little stiff but his expression is more intence. The flash worked well in No 2 as suggested you might try moving it to different angles. and both images are too centered.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:47 AM   #9

Cool idea with the fire.
stumprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:28 AM   #10

Would it work I he took a swing and you used second curtain flash (or whatever the correct term is)? The late flash might still get a good shot of his face and you would have a trail of the fire. Not sure if it would work (or be safe for that matter).

Kevin
KevinLF is offline   Reply With Quote