Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Agreed. It appears from what I can see that a couple of steps to the right by the photographer or to the left by the subjects would have resulted in a more pleasing background.

Mike - I understand that you're not a professional wedding photographer. Since you requested critique my main observation is the harsh lighting in many of the photos. Looks like a lot of direct, camera-mounted flash was used. At the very least on the indoor photos a ceiling-bounce would have resulted in more pleasing lighting and cut down on the harsh shadows. Another thing I like to do is put a piece of foam, paper or even use my hand to cover the front of the flash even as it is pointed at the ceiling. This results in a softer light with softer shadows because all of the flash's light is being directed off the ceiling and softened rather than coming straight from the flash onto the subject. There isn't a whole lot that can be done about the outdoor photos if you do not have the equipment for off-camera flash or someone to hold a reflector.

I think you did a good job with what you have and the ceremony pics are nice.

brad
Brad, tclune and wave 01. Thank you for your CC. The tree out of the head and the harsh lighting are things that definitely could be improved on.

The tree removal is not an easy fix. I tried in Aperture and Elements with bad results. I guess I just don't have the patients. But a couple of steps to the right would have made a much better shot as you mention.

The flash is something I worried about. I used a flash on just about every shot I took that day and I was concerned about the potential inconsistencies. I have some diffusers for my flashes but opted not to use them hoping to avoid inconsistent results that I have had in the past. I'm not too confident using the diffusers as they seem to underexpose a lot when I use them especially outdoors.

In hindsight I should have used the flash diffusers or bounce for the indoor shots as you have said, I agree the lighting is too harsh.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your time..

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:28 PM   #12

Mike,

What kind of flash diffusers do you have?

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:38 PM   #13

Mike, here is a quick edit of #2 for you. Corel paintshop pro X3

Bob
Attached Images

bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Mike,

What kind of flash diffusers do you have?

brad
I have a pair of Sto Fen diffusers for each flash. I have some excellent results with these diffusers but, I have also had some incosistent results. It could have been the batteries I just don't have a lot of experience with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammitt View Post
Mike, here is a quick edit of #2 for you. Corel paintshop pro X3

Bob
Great job Bob, how bout letting me know how you did it that clean?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:34 PM   #15

Thanks! I just used the clone tool in paintshop pro, it took about five minutes.

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:08 PM   #16

Very nice wedding pics. I did not notice the trees until I read tclune's comment. Nice cleanup.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:12 PM   #17
Super Moderator

I think all things considered you've done well. #5 is my favorite, did you get some where you captured the bridesmaid in the background responding to the couple or did you get any wider to add some context? I can't say much as I usually forget to do this and keep my eyes on the B&G.

In 3 and 4 if you could have bounced off of a wall, it would have made the light less harsh and #7 I wouldn't include as no bride wants to look miserable on her wedding day

Trust me, weddings get easier, I love them, real buzz...... go with the flow and enjoy then you get better photos
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:11 AM   #18
NHL

For me it's #6 - Great work!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:17 PM   #19

Thanks NHL and Mark. I did have fun shooting this wedding and in hindsight you can always see what you could have done better, I am happy with the results. But more important is that the couple was very happy with the photo's.