Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:08 PM   #11

ok i am guilty here .... i have a lensbaby lens composer upstairs . but being totally honest i have never used it yet it is almost 2 years old and still in the box brand new this thread just reminded me we have it LOL .
I have seen some great results with one via the web hence the purchase i also have a d90 so i am interested in seeing more of your pics shutterbug

2 my fave but whats it like in colour?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:58 PM   #12

Default Very nice pix

Long-time lurker here. I have a LensBaby (original version), but never had a lot of success with it, certainly nothing like what you have captured. Excellent work, IMO.

To the "haters": you've got to understand photography is more than pressing the little shutter button. It's about emotion and expression, something the OP has managed to capture quite well. Often there is more "art" in imperfect shots than there is in those perfectly focused, perfectly exposed, perfectly composed (i.e. "BORING!" ) images some of you seem to relish. Open your minds a little and get out and take a photo that has some meaning to you beyond the "look what my camera did for me" -- turn off the auto settings, for a start. Better yet, pick up one of many photo history books and look carefully at the images that have shaped our hobby (dare I call it "passion"?). Few are "perfect" images, but nearly all evoke emotional response, the true definition of art, IMO. If you don't like lensbaby photos, that's your choice, but I pity you your vision of the world. Sometimes it's nice to remove the blinders and look at the world in a different way, even if that way may be fuzzy. You might like what you see.

Back to the OP, again I offer kudos for well-done photos and ask that you please upload more for us to view and (hopefully) learn from. BTW: My fav of your first set is #1. To me you've caught not only a great sense of fun, but your careful adjustment of the Lensbaby has managed to convey a sense of motion in in train. Really nice!

Last edited by bubbagump; Oct 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM.
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:30 PM   #13

bubbagump calling a crappy image a work of art is not expanding the mind. Its just making one a liar.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
bubbagump calling a crappy image a work of art is not expanding the mind. Its just making one a liar.
I recall saying the same thing to my first photo instructor (without the liar aspect; I needed a grade! ). But, over time, I began to see there are many ways to visualize the world around us, and not every way strikes the same chord with all viewers (thank goodness; think how dull a world it would be if we all thought the same, acted the same, etc). We still need to strive to be true to our own visions, whatever they may be. And if my vision of a certain subject is a skewed from what some might consider to be "the norm", what's the harm? I honestly believe that some images are better if the focus isn't tack-sharp from corner to corner or the lens used costs less than my car is worth (which isn't much, but I digress).

The most important thing we all need to do is SHOOT PHOTOS and shoot them as WE wish to do. All opinions, good, bad, or indifferent are still just opinions. In the end, we still need to produce the images WE like. If someone else likes the images, so much the better. If not, such is life.

Whew! Now, how about a round of virtual handshakes then let's get out there and TAKE PICTURES!
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:20 AM   #15

My little Lensbaby really stirred things up around here!!! Thanks for all the compliments guys. I can't wait to get back out and take some more Lensbaby photos. This time of year my main subjects start to hide! I'm glad I've found something to keep me shooting through the fall and winter months. I'm stuck working the streets tonight and tomorrow night, and they're calling for rain Wednesday and Thursday here in eastern NC. Maybe they'll be wrong!!! I'll post more photos as soon as I get the chance. I'm sure a few will be with my new "toy" ; )
shutterbug1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 5:01 PM   #16

i think calling someone a hater for giving their opinion is a bit strong, honestly, i dont like em, and im not a "hater" its just my opinion, theyre ok but i find the blurring distracting, number 2 i like, but thats because it just looks like a shallow depth of field, why someone would spend a lot of money to achive this affect is beyond me, especialy as you could do the same effect with photoshop.
Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:03 PM   #17

Kazuya....the way you give your opion is much different than the "hater" I was reffering to. I don't like spending a lot of time post processing so this not only makes me think about my shots differently it also saves me time. Its cool if you don't like something and give your opinion, but how you deliver it makes a big difference!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:39 AM   #18

shutterbug - were you wanting critiques on these? I didn't see a request for such in the OP.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:31 PM   #19

DigMe, you're the first one to mention that. No, I was just posting some photos that I had taken with my new "toy". I'm always up for some pointers, but some people just like to bash anything different for the norm. Critique away, its not going to bother me. If I can learn something from it that's great! Even if it is "don't ever post a Lensbaby Photo on steve's again or someone might have a heart attack!" LoL
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:20 PM   #20

Dont ever post a Lensbaby Photo on Steves again or I will have a heart attack.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote