Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default First time with a model and a proper studio

OK, to start with, please be nice, this put me totally out of my comfort zone and I know I didn't do nearly as well as I could have...... man weddings are easy

I went to a local studio a couple of weeks ago with some guys off of another forum I hang out on and had a play with some different things.

I'm really keen to get feedback, not just that someone doesn't like something, but what I need to do if I ever venture back to shoot this sort of thing again.

Thanks for taking time to help me out

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:14 PM   #2

I really like the first one -- it has a Dutch masters vibe going that works very well. The one thing that I have a problem with is the model's hand. It keeps drawing my attention, and I don't find that appropriate.

The second photo doesn't have anything wrong with it, but it doesn't really draw me in like the first one did. It seems too predictable, if that communicates.

The third one is intriguing. The lighting is excellent and the pose is strong. The background works because the model's pose is strong enough to keep it from being a distraction, and I'm aware of that fact -- which just reinforces the model's strength.

The fourth one is quite competent, but doesn't do much for me. I'm not sure why.

The fifth one is just an odd pose. The lighting is fine, but the pose seems too artificial.

The sixth one is a lovely model properly lighted. I don't know whether the success of the photo is due to you or the model.

The seventh works for me because I'm a sucker for a lovely lady with a bass. Again, I'm not sure you get the credit for this one...

In the last photo, the model can't keep from being swallowed up by that loud background. She's just too demure for that setting, and it overpowers her. Or so ISTM.

Of course, all of them are vastly better than I could do myself, so take the criticism for what it is worth...

Last edited by tclune; Nov 1, 2011 at 2:17 PM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:16 PM   #3

G'day Mark

I'll open the bidding to say that "pretty girls posed in a studio is not particularly my thing"
Several things here mate -

Having the right tools - lighting, backgrounds & 'properly' made up models does make a huge difference to the outcome ... so 10/10 there
I can see how these models have responded to you and eye contact is great ... 10/10 again
The skin complexion & the eyes - particularly of #2 & #6 is scrumptious ... 10/10 again

Conclusion - can we see more please ... ?
Regards,Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:29 PM   #4

Nice photos, Mark. The first two are my favorite. I'm a total doofus about poses and whatnot but I'm really into lighting so that's what I look at the most. Overall I'd like to see more use of accent lighting (rim/hair).

On #7 it looks as if the light, which is angled from the side, is causing a shadow across her face from the neck of the electric bass. I'm thinking that clamshell lighting would possibly prevent that maybe with a rim light coming from behind the plane of her shoulder camera right as well.

The setup in #8 is BEGGING for a center-axis ringflash in my opinion though that probably wasn't available to you. Did you use an octobox on that one? Actually the quality of light looks a little harder than octobox..possibly a beauty dish?

I don't care for the look on her face in #3.

None of the above critiques should be accompanied by the assumption that I think I could do better!

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:17 PM   #5

Like Ozzie T'- I'm not a fan of model shoots in a studio,as I feel they're all too artificial- seldom focusing(no pun intended)on the person behind the face,more on what the project or the photographer requires/demands.
With regards these pictures here,it's quite difficult to critique,as we're not too sure what you were trying to capture- was there a collective or individual agenda here..?
Technically they look good- a nice mixture of colour,lighting,expression etc and all with great exposure.
I like no 6 simply because it could be in her portfolio...!
But again- difficult for me,because I like "people" photos when they're in an environment they're familiar with,with attire that they're comfortable with- and maybe just catching a little bit of the "person" behind the face...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 8:43 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The lighting is perfect!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:44 PM   #7

Well Mark your experience shows for being out of your comfort zone. Not bad, and playing with different things is how we learn.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:26 AM   #8

Hi Mark for me 2,6 and 7 seem to jump at me. 1 is nice but I would like to see more of her eyes. The others dont jump at me the lighting IMHO needs to be more dramatic or contrasty. Just my opinion and I hope it helps Grant
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:05 AM   #9
NHL

Hi Mark

Welcome to the Studio crowd...
We need more of you here!

All nice set and a general remark that's all: IMO the background seems to be too close to the subject and may be you're limited by a small studio may be?

Also like others mentioned contrast and shadow are more appreciated by the studio crowd so flat lighting like what you're used to for weddings with speedlight is to be avoided. #2 is a good example of this even though this portrait is beautiful. #1 is more my style, but each to its own I guess...

-> Just my 2c

Last edited by NHL; Nov 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:06 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time to comment! Possibly I didn't do as bad as I thought

NHL, was there a particular background you are thinking of, or all? With the yellow, purple and grey/black, these were all a good 10 feet behind the model, as it is a very large studio space. The only tight one is the graffiti wall.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote