Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:06 PM   #11

I like this photo much better than the first. it has real possiblities,I think, to make it into a kind of "Rembrant"type of picture. Maybe using the brush with water colors or baubing,etc. Anyway,again,I visulize that picture as a kind of painting.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 8:16 PM   #12

Now if that isn't some sort of confirmation, Kanji, I don't know what is. Though you wouldn't know it unless you checked properties on the photo, I used "Rembrandt" when naming it. It was this specific quality that caught my own eye, and yes, I did play with it a bit using filters, but no matter what I did, it looked as if I were trying too hard.

The frustration here is that it's an effect I'd like to be able to duplicate if the spirit ever moves me, but other than the camera's settings and the single light source and the dark background, I don't know what else caused this. And something extra must have caused it because all the same conditions existed in the first photo.

A mystery.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:41 AM   #13

I'm for the first one , for composition reasons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebaird
clone out the orangey backround thing

then 10/10
Oh, yes, Barbara.
There's a dark orange thing on the left starting from about the height of the eyes of your "victim" till his nose.

Maybe you were thinking about shooting at your son, lit face in the dark and then you have suddenly met him in the basement : the classical thing you can find in books when the author wants to make an example of the word "coincidence"
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:21 AM   #14

Quote:
There's a dark orange thing on the left starting from about the height of the eyes of your "victim" till his nose.
This is truly odd. There's no orange thing on my monitor, and there's no orange thing in the print. I can only conclude that I live in a separate, more ideal reality.

Quote:
example of the word "coincidence"
Or even synchronicity. :lol:
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:49 AM   #15

Removing-A-Dark-Object-On-A-Dark-Background-HOWTO *

Even if it is something difficult to see on a monitor removing dark objects on a dark background becomes important when you print your shots : have you ever experienced how those dark things become much more evident when u look at your prints in backlight ?

Before removing a dark object on a dark background there is an important question u must answer : how can I see it ?
Well, you can increase the brightness on your screen ( but in some cases it won't be enough ) or you can increase the brightness/contrast on your shot.

The point is that once you have removed the object with the clone stamp and u want to restore the original brightness most of the tonal dynamics of the original shot will be lost forever.
In other words augmenting brightness and then restoring it to its original value is a dataloss operation and your image quality will be decreased in a sensible way.

So, how can u do it ?

This is a possible solution that allows your eyes to see clearly what's in the background for its removal without affecting image quality at all.

The solution is based upon PS(>=6) or PS Elements Fill Adjustment Layers.

1) Open you shot
2) Popup the layers window
3) Click on the "Fill Adjustment Layer" icon and select brightness-contrast
4) Increase brightness and/or contrast to highlight the dark objects in background
5) Now u have 2 layers : the original shot and the fill adjustment layer.

Here's a snapshot of my italian PS Elements windows :

The important thing is that the new layer is a "dynamic" layer : everytime u modify the original shot the fill adjustment layer will show the result of the application of the filter ( brightness-contrast in this case) automatically : basicly the content of this layer is automatically recalculated every time u modify the layer from which it has been created.

This means that if u now select the original layer u can :
6) Use the clone stamp to erase the now clear dark object on the dark background in a very confortable way : their removal will be automatically reflected by the "Fill Adjustment Layer"
7) When done with them u can delete the now useless "Fill Adjustment Layer"

U have worked on the original image without loosing its original quality !

Quote:
Or even synchronicity.
Mmmhh, it reminds me of a great Album of one of my fav band

* A tribute to Linux culture.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:26 PM   #16

I just bookmarked this spot so I can get back to it easily when I do a really close inspection of the picture. Obviously, there IS something there, though I can't imagine why. Thanks, Sergio.

Connected with this is a question I immediately had when reading your directions: why would cloning out the light area on the original cause degradation? It's something I've occasionally suspected but never understood.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:40 PM   #17

Sergio, thank you, thank you, thank you. Because I have a love of dark backgrounds, this is a method sent from heaven...or at least from Italy. I'll be using it again and again. I uploaded the fixed version, and assuming your browser refreshes this page (I imagine it will), you should be able to see the picture at the top without any nasty orange things in it.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 2:03 AM   #18

I've spent the last x minutes looking for the orange thing only to get to the bottom post to find I was looking at the corrected photo, sigh. 2 terrific photos, can't even compare them. They are different and unique and truly spectacular.

Kayd
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:15 AM   #19

Kayd, I should have known better than to replace the old version with the new one. I've gone through the same frustration when others do this. I'll go back into the first post to edit it, putting in a note so that, what happened to you, won't happen to others, particularly since further down, Sergio gives a perfect solution to the problem.

Quote:
They are different and unique and truly spectacular.
Thank you so much. My own favorite is the second one, but did it ever give me fits trying to print it! I must have used half my ink to get it right.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 8:53 AM   #20

nice pics, is he your hubby??? hes very cute
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote