Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Senior Pics for critique

Hi, I'm new to Steve's. Have been getting semi-serious about photography lately and tried my hand at doing my son's senior portraits. I am very much in the still-learning phase, but need feedback from someone other than my family. Honest critiques welcome! Thanks.

Attached Images

greeneyes18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:15 PM   #2

Obviously, the first thing I need to learn is how to attach pics in between text.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:03 PM   #3

Heh heh. I know that feeling. Someone else pointed me to these instructions in this forum's FAQ:

Attachments and Images How do I attach a file to a post?
To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4

They don't look very sharp to me but that may be do to the uploading to the site. Some may say something about his hands in the first but other than the shots not being very sharp, I think everything else looks great!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:59 AM   #5

Yes, they are kindda soft. The first pick shows focus more on the shirt than the face. But i like the pose.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6

The shots look great if it wasn't for the pics being out of focus. Otherwise nice composition, nice colors and nicely cropped.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:35 PM   #7

Hi maybe its me but looking at the first picture I would say it has been focused in the wrong place as the shirt looks as if its in focus
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 7:25 PM   #8

These definitely do look more soft than the originals, perhaps due to not resizing small enough prior to upload. But you all are right--his shirt does look more in focus in #1. For kicks, here is #3 resized smaller to see if it looks any sharper...

Name:  Dustin Sr-290-1 (800x531).jpg
Views: 235
Size:  245.3 KB
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:28 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes18 View Post
These definitely do look more soft than the originals, perhaps due to not resizing small enough prior to upload.
Right.

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 to 85 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale), you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed sizes, the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired, so that can result in softer images). The EXIF will also be stripped out at the same time.

I can tell from those images that they were larger than allowed, so the forums software did resize and recompress them.

Only your last image (#3 resized smaller) was within the allowed limits for file size and dimensions. So, the forums software did not modify it.

IOW, it's a good idea to make sure images are no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, with a file size no larger than 253KB to prevent them from being resized and recompressed.

As long as they're within the allowed limits for dimensions and file size, the forums software will not attempt to modify them.

BTW, welcome to Steve's.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:02 AM   #10

Thank you all for the newbie help and the encouraging comments. I very much appreciate both!