Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Mel

In studio and outdoors.
Feel free to critique.
Attached Images

Last edited by lomitamike; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:09 AM   #2

Very pretty girl and both decent shots. My critique though would be:

1. They are not sharp enough. The feel soft. Thats ok in some portraits as long as the eyes are tack sharp but the eyes are of the same level of softness as the rest of the image.

2. The hair in the 2nd one is almost merging into the black background. I guess either a different color background or another lighton shining onto the top of the models head could help here.

Good work,
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:14 AM   #3

Lovely girl. But the poses are distractingly stylized for me. Also, I find the clipping of her elbow in both photos distracting -- if her arm is going to be bent, it provides a vector for the eye. Cutting the elbow out of the photo interrupts the flow of vision that you are inviting. Or so ISTM.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmintan View Post
Very pretty girl and both decent shots. My critique though would be:

1. They are not sharp enough. The feel soft. Thats ok in some portraits as long as the eyes are tack sharp but the eyes are of the same level of softness as the rest of the image.

2. The hair in the 2nd one is almost merging into the black background. I guess either a different color background or another lighton shining onto the top of the models head could help here.

Good work,
Thanks for the C&C it does look soft. The original is sharp. I guess I can try to repost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
Lovely girl. But the poses are distractingly stylized for me. Also, I find the clipping of her elbow in both photos distracting -- if her arm is going to be bent, it provides a vector for the eye. Cutting the elbow out of the photo interrupts the flow of vision that you are inviting. Or so ISTM.
Thanks Tclune;
I thought the same I just was curious if anyone else would notice it.
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Administrator

Hey Mike.

You may want to be aware that the forums software modified those images (recompressed them and stripped out any EXIF data that was there). I can tell because of a tag our software places in the JPEG comments section when it recompresses images.

The forums software probably modified them because the uploaded photos exceeded the maximum sizes allowed here (probably the file size). So, it recompressed the images and stripped out the EXIF (which can sometimes result in softer images being displayed).

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired).

So, it's a good idea to make sure images are no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side, with a file size no larger than 253KB to prevent them from being resized and/or recompressed with the EXIF stripped out (as happened with those images).

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes I was talking about that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:19 PM   #6

I'd pretty much second all that's been said. A couple of compositional tweaks and lighting.
And another nice looker...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:43 PM   #7

Thanks Jim.
I have noticed lately that my pics have not had any exif info. I just thought about any changes that I have made recently and I did bump up the image quality to the max (12).

I did not change the image size 1024 X 1024 just the quality. I guess that makes a big difference. The file size went from 90 KB @ 9 image quality to 430 KB @ 12 image quality.

Here's the same pic at less IQ.

Thanks for the info.
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:48 PM   #8

Thanks Simon. Here's another.
Attached Images

Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:38 PM   #9
NHL

Cool - I like the last two
We need more photographer like you here
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Liking that last 2 better for sure.

With the first the main thing to me is the broad lighting, just rotating here head a little would have swung that back to narrow and been more flattering.

The cut elbows didn't really bother me like they seem to have with others.