Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 4, 2004, 5:35 PM   #1

Default The photo that almost was

Over in the General Q & A forum, I started a thread about the photo rules no one tells you. One of the rules I added later on in the thread had to do with amputations. The photo that made me write that rule is this one of my son playing pool in our darkened basement. It's a picture that could have been, should have been, but sadly, it isn't. I'm posting it in an attempt to purge my soul of this bloody misdeed.

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2004, 3:06 AM   #2

All that extra space above it too, just sitting there.... mocking you. :P
JaroDefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:59 AM   #3

I guess I don't get the point of your post. I find the picture interesting. Increasing the exposure by about a half f-stop or exposure compensation of about +0.3 would help but it doesn't need much.

I like the dark eerie quality of the shot.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4

Although the focus point is her son's intense look on his face, by cutting off the end of his hand and the pool cue she missed an element that may have enhanced the photo. Amputations of body parts is one of those composition elements that requires one's attention. In the case of this photo, I don't find it critically damaging, but have you ever seen a photo of someone and their feet are cut off? It just looks bad. Worse yet, lopping off the top of one's head.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 12:54 PM   #5

well you can't have the ankles without the feet.....you can cut off below the waist but.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Increasing the exposure by about a half f-stop or exposure compensation of about +0.3 would help
Actually, the exposure was deliberately decreased because I wanted that dark, other-worldly effect. Neither of us is wrong. It's really more a matter of taste. I love the drama of light glancing off edges, then fading into black.

Quote:
Although the focus point is her son's intense look on his face, by cutting off the end of his hand and the pool cue she missed an element that may have enhanced the photo.
Exactly. We know he's focused on something, but what? Sure, it's a game of pool and we all know that he must be focused on lining up a shot, but knowing it and having the photo show it are not equivalent. Additionally, even if it hadn't been fingers I'd amputated, even if it had been, say, one-third of the cue ball, it still would have been bad composition. It doesn't matter because what we're looking at here is a triangle whose point is smack dab on the bottom edge of the picture. It leads the eye to the edge, then over it. Good composition captures the eye, always leading it back to the center of interest.

A shot lost, but a lesson learned. I hope.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 4:37 PM   #7

Quote:
a lesson learned, I hope
Well, lessons are lessons, and chance is chance, and no matter how well we know our lessons, sometimes the fates are simply agin' us. Besides, that kind of perfection goes against the principles of Zen. 8)

Iwaku. . .
A young man went to work as an apprentice for a temple gardener he had heard was the best. More than the best, he had achieved full satori while yet no more than a gardener! The youth wanted only to be as good a gardner as his master. On the first day, the master ordered the apprentice to sweep the leaf strewn path of the temple. The young man went to the job with a vengeance, sweeping the path clean of every leaf, even every particle of mis-placed dust! As late afternoon approached, he finished his task. Mopping his brow, he looked over the perfectly swept path once more, and went to his master. "I'm done," he announced with pride.
The master went to the the path and looked up and down at it, his eyes devoid of emotion. Suddenly, he reached down from the garden and grabbed a handful of leaves. He walked the length of the path slowly, scattering one leaf here, one there, as his apprentice looked on with alarm. What was the master doing to his perfect path?!
The master returned and stood beside the apprentice, the beginning of a smile on his cheeks. "Now, it's done," he announced.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 5:23 PM   #8

Perfection can be in the lack of it.

Nice, Norm. I liked that.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 2:04 AM   #9

The eyes fixed like a Hawk , while the left hand is blurred by the motion as it quickly strikes like a snake...the right arm motionless . In this I would see.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote