Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1

Default Is this cheating?

Now that I can post I need some advice. Just bought a Dig Reb with kit lens and have no real photography experience except for a passion to produce something that I can call ART. I have read the manual once and am now just experimenting. I really donít know what mode to be in or how to compensate and use any of the manual setting yet.

Is it cheating to basically just fill up the frame with the subject?
How is the DOF, should the print on the PJs be in focus?
Did I loose some DOF by not being back further and then just use PE2 to crop?
Any general suggestions?

Shooting Mode
Macro( Close Up )
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
55.0 mm
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:06 AM   #2

You made a very nice image!

Good way to improve images is to simplify and isolate to focus attention on your subject.
You did that very well here.

I think the DOF here works quite well too even though the face is starting to go soft on one side.

I like the framing the only thing that sort of bugs me is the cut off ear.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:23 AM   #3

The baby's very cute, which is why I would have included a bit more of him/her in the photo--not only the ear, but the chin and forehead are also cropped out here, making the viewer (me at least) wonder what the photo is really about,--perhaps the baby had a deformity of the head that made it important to leave that part out, or perhaps it's an anatomy textbook photo studying the mole on the baby's nose. :shock:
--Okay, that last part may be overkill, but I think you get my drift--you should frame the picture so that people understand at a glance the entire gestalt of what they're supposed to be looking at, without wondering about such oddities as I mentioned.
Keep at it!
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:48 AM   #4

I agree with both Peter and Norm (who drifted a tad far ), but even so, for supposedly not knowing what you're doing, you took an excellent photo.

Here's a tip that I really do wish I'd pay attention to myself: frame your photo, but just before you take the picture, back off a little, giving yourself room just in case. It keeps you from cutting off body parts and it gives you the option to crop. When you crop in-camera, you've lost that option.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the input, it is what I was looking for. Just to alleviate your wondering Norm the baby is not deformed and there is no mole under the nose . In fact that was a really bad cleanup job on my part after dinner ops: . I actually have some better photos but the flash highlighted some food just under her nostril which I missed. But no extra heads, chins or other :P .

Actually part of the reason I got so close was to try and crop to a body part such as her eye, ear (although not in this shot) or some other part. That is also why I posted my image in the close up forum. Again, just being new and not quite knowing what I am trying to accomplish.

I appreciate the composition input. Any input on camera settings or should I just let the thing stay on automatic for a while.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:27 PM   #6

oops, I didn't post in the close up forum, I posted in the people forum.

I told you I was new :roll:
Old Feb 6, 2004, 7:07 PM   #7

Stay on automatic for a while. It's better to concentrate on one thing at a time. As one aspect becomes second nature to you, go on to the next aspect. Before you know it, you'll be setting aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation, focusing perfectly, and whistling Dixie all at the same time.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote