Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:49 AM   #1

Default Emma Bright Eyes III -- CC greatly appreciated.

Hello!

My daughter was looking out the window the other day, so I took some snaps.

A bunch of little experiments.

Shot with my first (and only) auto-focus prime. Nikon 35mm f1.8. I know . . . not a lens that most people associate with portrait shots. I had originally gotten the lens to shoot shots around the campfire. But just experimenting prime vs. zooms. And seeing if I could get something in focus. Especially with my poor eyes.

This shot is actually the day after. I shot at f2.8 the 1st day (really close up) and it was way too shallow, so this is shot at f4. And a reflector on the left side to get some light on Emma's right eye.

Just starting to really think about portraits, so not quite sure what to look for / at.

Thinking of a 50mm prime early in the New Year.

CC greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Oh, yeah. This is cropped. So . . . I could have gotten this at 50mm with less distortion . . .

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Dec 17, 2013 at 5:04 AM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:35 PM   #2

If you've cropped this, I wouldn't worry about the distortion... is there any..?
As for CC... portraits in my opinion are a very personal thing...
As you say,you've cropped it- and are obviously happy with that- otherwise you wouldn't have done it...!
I personally wouldn't have- choosing to go for the full face- maybe a square format- and a little higher to lose the label,or whatever it is..!
Clearly the 35mm can work as a portrait lens- with cute use of flash...as you indeed implemented...
The lighting in the shot is great as is your daughters expression....

I actually want to add a 35mm to my bag- I have the 50mm..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:49 PM   #3

It's actually a good picture.

Id really have to be able to see the whole PIX (ie, uncropped) to make a judgement, but otherwise, I would agree with SIMON40.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:02 PM   #4

What a beautiful face. It's hard to get kids to cooperate for portraits especially when their related to you. I usually just follow them around with my camera and try to capture them in their activities.
Regarding this image and CC, as Simon mentioned the collar is distracting. You could try further cropping or clone it out in post processing (PP). In my opinion you should have either gotten a little closer or farther back.
Your DOF is good for this shot everything is in focus so you seem to have managed that well. For close in head shots a 35mm lens is not that good even a 50 is not the best. Try using an 85 to 200 mm for these types of shots. There just easier to work with.
The color or white balance seems a slightly cold (blue) try warming it up a little by sliding the color temperature towards the yellow side. Then adjust the green/magenta afterwards to balance it correctly.
There is somewhat of a catchlight in her eyes (I see the window) but a nice bright catchlight always adds to a portrait.
Most of all just take a lot of pictures of her. You'll get better and she won't stay small very long.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:23 AM   #5

B r a v o:
Vaske_Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:33 AM   #6

Thank you everyone! Greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions!

Sorry for the delayed reply. It being the last week of school for the girls, its been a whirlwind of activity here. LOL.

Reading through the replies, it looks like I may have mislead some into thinking this was a flash picture. It's actually just the sunlight coming through the window. I used a bounce, but just to see if I could get some light into the far eye. IMHO I got rid of too much of the shadow. That's one of the things I think I over did and want to try again. [And actually thinking about how to achieve this with flash too. <grin>]

But since I was going to try it over again, I thought I'd post it here and get some other input too . . . things to look at that I haven't learned yet. And try to look at that too when trying this again . . .

Also, this is just what I call a sketch / practice. She's actually just in her PJs. Literally just some quick snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
If you've cropped this, I wouldn't worry about the distortion... is there any..?
Just the perspective thing with her nose looking a bit bigger than normal.

Quote:
As for CC... portraits in my opinion are a very personal thing...
As you say,you've cropped it- and are obviously happy with that- otherwise you wouldn't have done it...!
Yeah. I was just playing around with the crop. When taking the picture, I actually had it in my mind to do one of those pictures of just one eye really close up. But then kinda got side tracked seeing if I could get light into both eyes from the window. So it kinda ended up where it ended up. LOL.

Quote:
I actually want to add a 35mm to my bag- I have the 50mm..!
I got the 35mm in the summer when the price dropped below $200. I had my eye on it to take camping and get available light shots around the campfire. I had tried to do that previously with a manual focus Pentax-A 50mm f2.0 on my Pentax, but the 50mm seemed a bit narrow for what I was trying to get. But, I guess the other reason I'm looking at primes right now is that I just upgraded my D90 to a D7000 during Black Friday and it is playing really nicely with my f2.8 zooms, so I'm set that way for a bit so turning my GAS onto primes. So looking at a 50mm f1.8 and an 85mm f1.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
It's actually a good picture.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdromel View Post
Id really have to be able to see the whole PIX (ie, uncropped) to make a judgement, but otherwise, I would agree with SIMON40.
Yeah. As mentioned above, this was just a quick sketch / practice so I didn't spend that long at setting things up. Emma is still in her PJs (the purple fabric you see at the bottom of the pict). I could see a 35mm being interesting to "warp" in some of the environment in a portrait, but I had that lens so close to Emma's face, trying to use it like a longer lens, that its not quite what I was going for . . . <grin>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomitamike View Post
What a beautiful face. It's hard to get kids to cooperate for portraits especially when their related to you. I usually just follow them around with my camera and try to capture them in their activities.
Thanks! Emma has her moments. Sometimes she'll be right into it. Other times its a no go. But she is actually quite into taking pictures. She is using our old Fuji E500 and knows how to choose whether to use flash or not. LOL.

And there are these two pictures that she actually directed . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...57623912904915

Quote:
Regarding this image and CC, as Simon mentioned the collar is distracting. You could try further cropping or clone it out in post processing (PP). In my opinion you should have either gotten a little closer or farther back..
Yes. Agreed! But this is just a quick sketch, so I wasn't too worried about making it perfect. I was mainly concentrating on lighting the eyes this time around. I figured, if I could lock that down, I'll work my way out from there. ie posing and composition <grin>

Quote:
Your DOF is good for this shot everything is in focus so you seem to have managed that well. For close in head shots a 35mm lens is not that good even a 50 is not the best. Try using an 85 to 200 mm for these types of shots. There just easier to work with.
RE: DOF, it didn't go so well the 1st day . . . <grin> That's something I played with with this shot . . .

Agreed on the lenses. I just got to a point where I'm ready to start looking at primes. <grin>

Quote:
The color or white balance seems a slightly cold (blue) try warming it up a little by sliding the color temperature towards the yellow side. Then adjust the green/magenta afterwards to balance it correctly.
Agreed. I shot these in RAW to play with that. I made the previous day's (above 2 links) warmer through the white balance, but wasn't sure if I had pushed it too far, so with the above shot I dialed it back a bit. And I got to agree I like the warmer colours better. I'll have try that again and try the yellow / green / magenta balance.

Quote:
There is somewhat of a catchlight in her eyes (I see the window) but a nice bright catchlight always adds to a portrait.
Thanks for pointing out the catchlight, that's got my mind working on how to use the flash to get light into the eyes, still have a nice shadow, and get a catch light.

Quote:
Most of all just take a lot of pictures of her. You'll get better and she won't stay small very long.
+1

Old Dec 22, 2013, 8:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaske_Obsidian View Post
B r a v o:
Thank you! Very much appreciated!