Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Team Photo Help

I need to take a team photo and be able to remove the background to use on a large vinyl banner.

I have a 70D with the kit lens, 55-250mm lens, and 50mm lens. I also have an extrenal flash for it.

What is the best way to take this picture? I would assume i should use the external flash and 250mm lens on a tripod. Should i get a white sheet to use as a back drop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never done anything like this before so need some detailed help.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:26 AM   #2
conor

How big is the team?
Will you be shooting indoors or outdoors?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
How big is the team?
Will you be shooting indoors or outdoors?
The team is 11-12 players. It will probably be indoors but may be able to get outside depending on the timing. Its starting to get cold here.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:02 PM   #4

If using a backdrop, it helps to have it a color which isn't part of the team uniforms or equipment, to make it easier to mask out.
Depending on the size of the team, it may work better to pose them in front of a painted wall or solid fence.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:48 AM   #5

What lens would be best to use of the 3 I have for this? I may just take individuals and make my own team photo.

I have a 50mm, 18-55mm kit lens, and 55-250mm lens.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:41 PM   #6

You are probably going to have two or three rows, so you will want a large depth of field. Indoors will probably mean you don't have a lot of space to move back, so you'll need a pretty wide angle. The 18-55mm would probably be your best choice. Set to f/8 with your widest angle, it should give the best overall sharpness, unless there is objectionable edge distortion.
If your photo editing skills are up to making a composite, the 50mm would be a good choice for the individual portraits. (and you would not have to take a separate set)
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:46 AM   #7
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
You are probably going to have two or three rows, so you will want a large depth of field. Indoors will probably mean you don't have a lot of space to move back, so you'll need a pretty wide angle. The 18-55mm would probably be your best choice. Set to f/8 with your widest angle, it should give the best overall sharpness, unless there is objectionable edge distortion.
If your photo editing skills are up to making a composite, the 50mm would be a good choice for the individual portraits. (and you would not have to take a separate set)
I agree with this assessment, except if you can stand in a position that allows you to shoot the group shot with the prime (as it will be generally more sharp than the 18-55 kit lens).

My first attempt at shooting something like this would be simple, using 2 umbrellas, left and right of photographer and reasonably high, casting the light down to all the faces.
If you keep a reasonable distance from any backdrop, and shoot at f8 as VTphotog suggested, I'd expect reasonable results.

I'd use the same approach outside: early afternoon sun, with the photographer facing (subjects back to) the sun (but keeping it out of the top of the frame) and blast the faces with diffused flash (again, umbrellas would work, but you could probably get away with bounce cards, or other inexpensive diffuser, if you were careful).

/two-cents