Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:01 PM   #11

Default Re: shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinbishop
That shine thing really bugs me. When I look at photographs from the great photographers, the ladies' skin always looks perfectly smooth and toned with no hot spots. How is this achieved? It can't always be done in PS, because half of these guys claim to never use it. I suppose it has a lot to do with makeup. Wouldn't have a clue about that stuff, but at least if I knew the technical term I could mention it to models.

I chose the tightly cropped photo of the man, as I dislike shots that are neither wide nor closeup. I thought of this as like an actor's headshot - plenty of detail in the face. I took wider ones as well.
I have a printable makeup guide on my site written by a professional makeup artist here:
http://www.photo-digitaldesigns.com/Makeup.doc
The main thing about makeup is the chemical components...some ingredients actually create shine while the same product from a different manufacturer is more suitable for photography. If I'm not using a professional makeup artist for a shoot, I always point a model to this guide so they can make the proper selection prior to a shoot.

Something else to consider is all models don't need to be smiling or centered in the photo. Even cropping off part of the head works (but it works better if you move the head into the corner of the image & don't just crop off the top).

Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:22 AM   #12

Not being a portrait photographer I'll refrain from any comments about lighting and the model. However, I do think the background is a bit too wild, and actually is distracting.

Just my 2 cents :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:40 AM   #13

Default Re: shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
all models don't need to be smiling
Because the photographer is smiling enough for the both of them.

Beautiful face, and an awesome portrait. Among your great ones, Kalypso.
Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
However, I do think the background is a bit too wild, and actually is distracting.
Funny, I see it just the opposite. I tried looking at the background, but I was just too distracted by the foreground.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:51 AM   #15

Martin, Those all look good to me, and that girl is beautiful. I'd say you're on your way to following in Kalypso's footsteps. Good job!
Old Mar 11, 2004, 3:06 AM   #16

Thank you all.

I wasn't expecting such detail on the makeup, that's really helpful, thanks!

What I notice about kalypso's photo is the strongest light is coming from behind and the right. It isn't really touching the front of the face at all. That seems to be lit by a reflector, which must be to the left because the extreme left hair is lit well. It's a great photo!

Smiling is difficult. A good photographer with a fast camera (ie, not my 5700!) will joke with the model and fire the shutter just as the smile 'peaks'. There is only a moment when the smile is truly genuine. Most people, when they try to hold a smile, it shows!

I've since noticed that in the shot in the pink dress her head is actually turned slightly to the right (her left), while her eyes look back at me. This either looks suspicious or suggestive, not sure which. Maybe if it was more deliberate?

I think the test went well for what I intended, which is to take photos that you might expect at a ball or event. But as a portrait photographer, in a more artistic context, I'm still keen to improve.

Just for interest, I'm posting three more I just finished. Hope no one minds

(just left them cut out)

(desaturated background, less fussy)

(I really like this pose)
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthold
However, I do think the background is a bit too wild, and actually is distracting.

Barthold
I agree with Barthold, the background is distracting.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:48 PM   #18

I third the motion on the background- a bit to 'compressed' with such contrast. Other than that the pics are great.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 1:24 AM   #19

Default A tip...or two

Deep breath, shoulders back, head straight...posture will make the pic. With the ladies...it makes their chest bigger, tummies smaller, & lines them up vertically. If you have them exhale slowly through their mouths...you have a second benefit, no fake smiles & and sexy lips. Also, never shoot women from straight on...they are built different than Men (which is why they are women) & it makes their hips look wide. Have them turn at 1/4 angle either way & they will appreciate it.

One last thing...sexy is 2 degrees off of Mad. Have her angled & look to the side & down 40 degrees. Using just her eyes...have her glance back up at your camera...you now have sexy-as-he*l (This is a secret...don't tell anybody). Like:

Old Mar 13, 2004, 5:13 AM   #20

Great tips, thankyou K. I'm learning that posing is the whole deal with this kind of photography. Lighting's not always easy, but you can learn it fast enough to get good results, but what you see in front of the camera is human and variable and nervous, etc. I would never want to just say "look suggestive", the model has no idea how to do that and gets very self concious. The breathing out through the mouth trick is fantastic. It sounds just weird enough for the model to think "okay, I have no idea why, so he must know what he's doing" and give it a try.

Excellent work with the picture too Kalypso! Shows that posing the bits of the body that aren't in the shot is important too. I presume she had her legs crossed and hands on her top knee? This is defining the way that her upper body is shaped.
martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote