Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1

Default would appreciate your opinions...

I've been reading your critisicms of each other's work in here and it seems a nice place to be. I wonder if the legendary Kalypso is listening. He seems to get a lot of praise!

Here are some pictures from a recent test shoot. I'm moving into event photography (amongst other things) this year, and would really appreciate any comments you may have. I honestly would like to hear criticisms too!!

Camera is a nikon cp 5700, with all it's shortcomings! I've got some prolinca studio lights, and the nice background was done in photoshop (har har)

martinbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

In general, very nicely done. As long as you have Photoshop, you might want to try to take the hot shine off the lady's forehead

In the last picture, you cut off the very top of the man's head.

PS..don't be calling Kalypso "legendary".... it might go to his head :lol:
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

Default shine

Thanks for your comments ohenry. I actually did remove a bit of shine, but didn't want to be too drastic, as I felt it removed a lot of the shape from the face, I'm probably wrong. I was probably just used to it the old way! I'm going to give it a try and post the result later.

That shine thing really bugs me. When I look at photographs from the great photographers, the ladies' skin always looks perfectly smooth and toned with no hot spots. How is this achieved? It can't always be done in PS, because half of these guys claim to never use it. I suppose it has a lot to do with makeup. Wouldn't have a clue about that stuff, but at least if I knew the technical term I could mention it to models.

I chose the tightly cropped photo of the man, as I dislike shots that are neither wide nor closeup. I thought of this as like an actor's headshot - plenty of detail in the face. I took wider ones as well.

Kalypso? Well, I mean.. he's alright.. erm ops: .
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:32 PM   #4

Default attempt

hmm. okay, that's better. thanks for the advice!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:50 PM   #5

All good but the first, esp after edit for forehead "shine"
is a heckuva "keeper"!

Nicely done!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:09 PM   #6

Good photos but not so sure about the lighting of the ladies hair. I would have expected to see more detail in the hair but in 2 of the shots much of the hair lacks detail and I think detracts from the overall result. Like the way you managed to retain detail in the white frock.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 3:59 PM   #7

What I notice is the eyes are always looking toward the camera. You have the young lady poise pointing slightly off center buy her eyes look back to the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 5:26 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments. I agree the hair needs a little lift. I would like to experiment more with hair lighting from behind and accenting from the side. She said she'd like to do some more, so that's something I'll work on.

The portrait was actually lit by a single softbox, quite close. I had two background lights, one on either side, but it turns out they were not firing! I discovered this (reasonably) quickly, but found the results were ok without, since I was planning to cut out anyway. I have a hard time matching exposure of the background with the subject, since the lights only have full and half power, and my living room is limited in size!

Gibson, did you mean that posing off center but looking back to the camera was bad or good? That's what she's doing alright. I feel people look more interesting (and occasionally slimmer) by turning slightly. To be honest it's also a bit of a failsafe pose to start off with. I did also take some of her looking to her right, our left. Those are nice. Don't know why I didn't post those. I will if you're interested.

thanks again!
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:17 PM   #9

the touchup of the ladies forehead went well. overall I will say that you have some nice pictures here but when I see them I think of a department store studio shot (which isn't necessarily bad). since you mention Kalypso I will try to compare your results.

Now just from memory and not actually going to his post to compare I can say lighting is an issue for you. I know he uses gold/silver reflectors at times and it seems to show in your color shots as his skin tones seem to be richer and often seems to have multidirectional light sources.

The comment gibson made about her focusing on the camera crept into my head also and was confirmed by seeing his post. I don't know what it is, it maybe just this particular model but the shots of her have just a bit of an uncomfortable feel to them. I wish I could be more specific but hopefully the comment will spark something within you.

Kalypso makes good use of everyday locations as backdrops. Maybe you can try the same. Maybe that is also why there is that slightly uncomfortable feel because I associate that background with "having" to go to the studio to get my picture taken.

I like your BW of the male, but like ohenry the first thing I thought was his head was cut off. I can appreciate your explanation and overall think it is a quality shot with appropriate contrast.

Hope this is constructive and provides motivation. It is not meant to criticize or demean your skills.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:56 PM   #10

I'm not a portrait photographer, but I think the skin shine is the result of your lighting being a bit too strong/harsh. Soft boxes and reflectors can soften that. I don't own or use studio lights so this is just a guess. Perhaps some of our photographers that do use artificial light sources will illuminate us :P
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote