Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:17 PM   #1

Default Swinging

And trying not to get lost in her hair.
Sony A850, SAL70-400G @ 400mm, f/5.6, 1/3200
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:30 PM   #2

Great shot Mike! I'm assuming this is a grand-daughter? I lose track, you have so many. Anyway, yes, she has a lot of hair. I noticed that you were using 1/3200 sec shutter speed. What iso did you have to use to get that? You have inspired me to go to the park with Bella and my 70-300, and see what I can get.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2018, 12:29 AM   #3

Im glad this inspires you to get out and spend some time with your granddaughter. Thats always a good thing.

No Robert this is a niece. But she was at a granddaughters (#5) birthday party.

ISO 320. Not sure if it's true or not but there used to be talk of Sony cameras getting better shadows with ISO 320 rather then their base 200 ISO. The argument was a pretty good one.

Mentioning the birthday party. It's rare that all my grandkids get together. I held them together for 6 shots before I gave up. No cooperation.
Sony A900, 35-70f/4 @ 35mm, f/4, ISO 640, 1/5000sec, center weight metering
Attached Images

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:55 PM   #4

Cooperation? I remember something about that. This is from 2009. See the look on Tonya's face? Nine years later, it's still the same. She has the patience of a saint. The kids are getting harder to keep still these days. Ethan turned 12 yesterday, and Bella is 9. If I try to get their picture, I have to interrupt their phone game or their slime making. As a result, most of my pics of them lately have been more like snapshots, or phone pics. I need to get the camera back out.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwild View Post
Cooperation? I remember something about that. This is from 2009. See the look on Tonya's face? Nine years later, it's still the same. She has the patience of a saint. The kids are getting harder to keep still these days. Ethan turned 12 yesterday, and Bella is 9. If I try to get their picture, I have to interrupt their phone game or their slime making. As a result, most of my pics of them lately have been more like snapshots, or phone pics. I need to get the camera back out.

The smile of the small kid in this image is taking my heart away!
DSP121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:31 PM   #6

Yep, it gets tough to get good photo's as they get older. They get fast and aware of what your doing. I've found the best way to get decent photo's is take them outside to a place that they will be paying more attention to their surroundings rather then you.

I try my best to run around with them while trying to keep my camera from swinging into a piece of playground equipment or whacking one of them in the head. Thats where a small mirrorless camera works best. They don't hurt as much as the dslr.

I usually come home exhausted after taking the grandkids out and playing/photographing them. But, the rest of the evening I'm sitting in a chair processing photo's from the day so there's not too much energy needed to do that, unless the wife says different.

My favorite camera/lens combos with the kids are the A6000 & 18-200, or if I go big the A900 & 70-400. With the later you can stay behind them and zoom in.

You know Robert thankfully we have so many photo's of our grandkids. It's the best reason I can think of for getting out to shoot. And they change so fast, it's nice to be able to look back when they were little.

Thats a priceless photo you got there.