Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:34 PM   #1

Default First photo post for a newbie

Hello,
I'm just getting started learning about lighting and portraiture. This is an image I took while at a relative's house on the spur of the moment when I noticed the lighting. It's natural light and handheld as I didn't have a tripod with me. I braced myself as best as I could. Exposure was 1/40 f2.8. The image has better highlights when viewed in Photoshop. I'm not sure why it is so dark when viewed with Internet Explorer. (I'm new with Photoshop as well). Anyway any comments are appreciated in regards to subject, lighting, exposure, photoshop... you name it! Anything to help me improve!

http://www.pbase.com/mlydy1/review
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:47 PM   #2

Excellant photo.. Next time try a different appature setting, Say 5.6 this will make the Depth of field less, ensuring better focus on moms face just like the babies... Good luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:06 AM   #3

Wonderful capture of a intimate moment, lovely light.
Great first shot.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:13 AM   #4

Wonderful shot.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 4:45 PM   #5

Great moment...preserved forever!

Wonderful light too.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 3:49 PM   #6

Thank you for the comments!
mlydy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 8:11 PM   #7

Wonderful capture of a special moment between mother and child.

Quote:
The image has better highlights when viewed in Photoshop. I'm not sure why it is so dark when viewed with Internet Explorer. (I'm new with Photoshop as well).
I'm no expert but I believe that in photoshop you should convert the image to sRGB colorspace before uploading to the web. I asked the same question several months ago.

click on IMAGE->MODE->convert to profile.

Hope this helps
jazcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:33 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm not sure why it is so dark when viewed with Internet Explorer.
This can happen with PSP as well. You might try a different monitor gamma setting.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:00 PM   #9

Photoshop is a color space aware application. It'll use the color profile information in the image (if there is one available) when loading the image. It'll also use the color profile for your monitor (if you have one) to display the image correctly. It'll use the color profile for your printer, if you have one installed, to print the image correctly (and soft-proof the image). In other words, you have the ability to setup a fully color-managed workflow in PS.

Internet explorer is dumb, it doesn't use color profiles. Converting to sRGB is a reasonable thing to do indeed before posting to the web.

If you don't color-calibrate your monitor and create an ICC profile for it, editing colors in your image is going to be guesswork. Something that looks good on your monitor might look completely wrong on someone elses. Printing it can also result in widly different colors than what you see on the screen. If you use PS or PS Elements invest in a Spider ($130 or so) which will help you calibrate your monitor and will create an ICC profile for it. Its worth it.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote