Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old May 4, 2004, 8:19 PM   #11

I love the pictures! I showed my friend the one of "Weed is a plant, Bush is dope!" She laughed really hard!

If that is their opinion on marijuana let them have it. I think marijuana should be legal personally. It is illegal, true vito. But just think of all of the stupid things that were once illegal that now we would think were pathetic if it was still illegal. I know if that was in my city 1/2 of my family would be there. Marijuana is a medicine that is not being expolred enough because it is illegal. True, if used in the wrong hads it could be dangerous and lives could be lost, but think of all the lives that could be saved with it, too.

I found a good pro- marijuana legalizing website here. http://gecko.gc.maricopa.edu/~rmcamou/ENG101/argupro.html

Again, this is all a matter of opinion, not right or wrong.

Anyways, the pictures are great and they trulymade me smile! I wish I could take such wonderful pcitures as you do, mrkyrz!
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 8:57 PM   #12

Im not an advocate of any illegal drug or their use, however given some facts the argument for the legalization of marijuana is a good and strong one.

Contrary to popular belief and propoganda marijuana is not nearly as devastating to the body as is equivalent use of alcohol. Alcohol represents exponentially higher fatality rates in relation to its use. Alcohol is physically addictive. Cigarettes are detrimental on an unequivacal order of magnitude compared to marijuanna. The amount of marijuana required to get lung cancer would render a person in a complete vegatative state long before a chest xray showed any spots. Marijuana use (even heavy) does not cause hardening of the arteries, heart disease, emphesima etc. Theoretically it could.... but in reality a person would be completely non-functional dope happy monkey if they practiced enough weed to pose a serious threat to their health. The argument its a gateway drug is also relatively weak... its no more a gateway drug then alcohol is ... the weakest of the herd follow.. whether it be cocaine or playing chicken with tractor trailors.. these are folks that are destined to be a statistic, be it by drugs or wreckless habits of other flavors.

As I see it the government tolerates the items that are the most destructive because they earn massive revenues from them (alcohol=tax$$, cigarettes=tax $$). Guns, alcohol and cigarettes have killed more people to date then marijuana could in another 2004 years. By legalizing it and taxing the hell out of it they would do a 200% more effective job of eliminating it

And all this is from someone that thinks its a hell of a waste of good time and money, makes you act like a fool, and isnt worth the trouble. But ... common sense stil tells me that it makes no sense to spend billions $$ every year on policing it rather then educating kids and improving the state of life for the masses. If life was a little better and more easy to tolerate less people would need the break from reality found in a silly leaf.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 5:58 AM   #13

amusing, we get these kind of protests here and i could count on my hands the amount of brain cells between the lot of them. Most living on government benefits.

On a more personal note. My eldest son started smoking pot as a teen. He is basicly adicted to the stuff (I dont care what is said about it not being adictive, I see his need for the stuff and he is addicted in some way), he hasADD and it has only made matters worse. he is not as bad as he used to be but on the whole his life is crap, he coughs his lungs out every day, does not seem to be able to hold down a job and cant seem to cope without either pot or alcohol for very long or if he does he lapses back into old habits due to friends smoking and drinking around him.. It saddens me that so many of our youth get wrapped up in drugs these days. Lucky my boy takes no heavy drugs speed, LSD, etc. thank goodness my youger son hates the stuff and is into sports.

I believe in these people having the right to protest however Im amused by the sign " POT SAVES LIVES" When??????

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 7:25 AM   #14

aladyforty,
i am a practicing occupational psychologist and i ve worked many times with people that have drug problems. You definetely know better than anyone about your sons problems, but have you ever thought that the use of cannabis and alcohol might be a way of self-medication for the ADD? (please dont misunderstand my comment, i am not claiming that pot and alcohol is a medicine for ADD)

as for the saving lives claim,it might not be completely true but cannabis can be useful to people suffering from AIDS, cancer and some neurological disorders, and many cases is medically prescribed.

regards
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:27 AM   #15

I've had many friends that used it. Most of them are just fine. I've also had many friends that drove after drinking excessively, they're also just fine. I wouldn't encourage either of those behaviors.

By the way as for medical benefits, you can get them from a pill you don't need to smoke it so the argument that we should legalize smoking it for medical reasons is , shall we say (Up In Smoke).

Oh and by the as a Respiatory therapist I discourage the smoking of anything. I think we all know what it does to you lungs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:36 AM   #16

in the medical conditions where cannabis can be used in order to relieve some of the pain, the patient would otherwise need to use heavy painkillers that are much more addictive both physically and mentally (and usually contain morphine derivatives). Disabled people that live with constant pains can get some comfort without been hooked to the "pill" that is being considered as a "panacea" by many.
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:49 AM   #17

Didn't I read somewhere that they've managed to isolate the substance in pot that relieves the symptoms of chemotherapy? Maybe I'm just dreaming about what might have been done but hasn't been. My sister-in-law went through a long and awful time with chemotherapy, and she was given something (not pot) to help her through it, but it didn't necessarily help at all. I suggested pot to her, but the problems of obtaining it and not being arrested for using it were more than she could bear at the time.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 7:45 AM   #18

pavaros wrote:
Quote:
aladyforty,
i am a practicing occupational psychologist and i ve worked many times with people that have drug problems. You definetely know better than anyone about your sons problems, but have you ever thought that the use of cannabis and alcohol might be a way of self-medication for the ADD? (please dont misunderstand my comment, i am not claiming that pot and alcohol is a medicine for ADD)

as for the saving lives claim,it might not be completely true but cannabis can be useful to people suffering from AIDS, cancer and some neurological disorders, and many cases is medically prescribed.

regards
I think the ADD (which he took ritalin for until he was 16 then refused to take them) has not helped. his doctor always said that pot and ADD dont mix. My family have bi- polar and other depressive illness all through it and my eldest says that pot calms him. I still hate him smoking it and the Alcohol worries me even more. He has an addictive personality. Sometimes he is really good then other times he lapses back into these ways. I still worry about him even though he is 23 years old. I just hope he will improve with age and get his act together, there is only so much we can do as parents and it is up to him. I will support him anyway.

Im sure pot is great for some people with illness. I only know what i see and our mental illness ward at the hospital is full of people who started out on pot.

If prescribed i see no problems. I also know people who smoke it at times but not every day or anything and they are fine and it does not seem to effect them.

I myself would advise not to smoke anything at all, just think of your lungs.

anyway i think this is enough said as it is a photo forum:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote