Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:40 PM   #11

flint350 wrote:
Quote:
Someone may have asked you this before, Kalypso, but what is your basic studio lightning setup? I am looking at the Alien Bees "digibee" with an addition of a B800 - or - the full "busy bee" setup.
Gee...that's tough to answer. I use everything from reflected Halogen hot lamps to remotely triggered portable flash units (some of it is probably considered pretty lame by most studio photographers)...although I recently bought a set of Norman Studio Strobes;-)

The top image of Lori was shot with the main light being a Vivitar 285HV flashed into a white 60" Photogenic umbrella. I used a hot lamp reflected off of a 42" silver umbrella (with a 12" gold panel added to the top ribs)at 45 degrees to her upper rear...gold for her blonde hair.

2nd image was shot with open blinds during harsh afternoon sunlight entering to the models upper back & a muted gold foamboard panel (to my rear left) to kick some light back onto her face.

3rd image was shot using a Halogen hot lamp reflected off of a silver, 42" umbrella to her immediate left. I also used another hot lamp shooting through a white translucent umbrella, 45 degrees to her front right.

The very last shot was during the same shoot as #2...a little later with the blinds slightly angled down to slightly reduce the directness of the light. The model was using her right hand to hold a gold 12" reflector to her front right (at about 40 degrees) which provided the catchlights in her eyes along with the lighting on the right side of her face.

That being said...Alien Bees are great!
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:01 AM   #12

Hey Kalypso, your photos are really good, do you ever shoot any of good looking guys, say brad Pitt types???

:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 12:05 PM   #13

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Hey Kalypso, your photos are really good, do you ever shoot any of good looking guys, say brad Pitt types???

:-)
I haven't really worked with many guy models (except for couples or family pictures). I subscribe to the Elaine Bennis (Sienfeld) school of thought..."A woman's bodyis like a work of art. Guys are more utilitarian...like a Jeep."

I also like working with ladies because it's much easier to form the connection needed to create good images. I see a lot oftechnically excellentphotographers who create great images (not necessarily on this forum...I personally know several), but their work lacks that extra "something" that fails to bring out the models inner beauty. It's not always expressed in the models eyes either...for example:

[align=center][/align]

Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:07 PM   #14

""Guys are more utilitarian...like a Jeep"""

yesbut Ican see beauty in a jeep

:lol:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote