Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jul 24, 2004, 4:04 AM   #1

Caution: This wasn't easy for me to shoot and may not be easy for some to see.

I saw this on my way backfromwork a few days ago and since I carry my camera with me, everywhere, felt compelled to take the shot; even though I was in a taxi, which was, fortunately, not moving too quickly.

The camera used -Kodak CX6200.
Attached Images

Keith M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:42 AM   #2

where it was?????
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:56 AM   #3

The pic was taken in Calcutta, India.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:37 PM   #4

Keith, as sad as that was I thank Godeven more for what I have. Your picture brings reality tolife if you know what I mean.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 2:22 AM   #5

Oh my,
I love the street shot, but I feel sad for the people, although they probarbly think this is quite normal.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:18 PM   #6

Nadia and Frank, thanks for your comments.

Nadia, that is exactly the way I felt about it, yet, as Frank says, they are possibly content with what little they have, not seeing any other way out of their unfortunate circumstances.

I was glued to this scene, sad as it was and felt compelled to shoot it. The three people were unaware that the shot was taken.

Old Aug 2, 2004, 1:57 PM   #7

Nice photo, Keith...and the male subject on the right is smiling...

Not unlike the Mona Lisa

My "read" of this photo is that this family is happy...it is the viewer (me) that causes himself to reconsider all that is good in his rich life...

It reminds me of a quote from Mother Teresa.

"Poverty is not the greatest ill. Loneliness is."
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:02 PM   #8

Your comments seem to be funny to me, as this is a common sight in India and Pakistan, where I am from. Still amazed to know that you actually felt "sad" seeing that scene, perhaps because I am so used to seeing these scenes almost everyday...
Once I can afford an FZ10, my photos would be revealing the same kind of real and hidden life, inshaAllah.
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Yours comments seem to be funny to me, as this is a common site in India and Pakistan, where I am from. Still amazed to know that you actually felt "sad" seeing that scene, perhaps because I am so used to seeing these scenes almost everyday...

FYI: This level of poverty is prevalentallacossthe third world and isnotexclusive toIndia and Pakistan.

Yes, I havecome across quite a few individualshaving the sameattitudesasyours,but just becauseone is,using your words,'used to seeing' scenes like this does not mean thatall of us- living in third world countries -shouldautomatically become oblivious or unfeelingtothe environmentaround us.

I guess what I am saying is that due to the veryobvious differences in our ideologies, we could well be perceiving similar thingsin avery, verydifferent manner. Just because we'reliving in two neighbouring developing countries, does not mean that our perceptions of the world around us are identical.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:26 AM   #10

I'm sorta with rameezrazzak - it's a fairly common sight around many parts of asia (where I was born). I feel not so much sadness or sorrow for them, as clearly they're well fed, the area is free from grafitti, dirt and other nasties, and they have clothes and cooking utensils all in good condition. Plus, it's not a war-torn neighbourhood. Fairly fortunate working class IMO.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote