Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:20 AM   #11

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
how do you convert the background to black and white? Is it done in photoshop??

Lovely shot:-)

Yes, it's done in Photoshop. Just add a duplicate layer. Select the copy and convert to B&W. Next use the eraser and erase the B&W where you want colour to show.
CADman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:00 AM   #12

CADman wrote:
Quote:
Yes, it's done in Photoshop. Just add a duplicate layer. Select the copy and convert to B&W. Next use the eraser and erase the B&W where you want colour to show.
Cadman, you did a great job erasing everything to b&w but the subject. But, I just don't get it when people say that they simply used the eraser to erase everything but what they wanted to retain in a layer. When I've tried this same procedure I find it to be a very arduous task, especially on subjects with complicated outlines. I have to use a small eraser in detail areas on 4-500% zoomed in portions of the image. My eyes go nuts after awhile and it still doesn't look perfect when I'm done. It can't be as simple as you stated.

Come on, there's got to be a better way...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 10:15 AM   #13

Geoffs,

This shot has fairly simple outlines and is therefore easy to do. You are correct that some shots will be arduous, but if it was easy it would be common and therefore no big deal!

Remember, you only want to accent a shot, if you want too much in colour it might be easier to do it the other way around, erase the B&W layer.
CADman is offline   Reply With Quote