Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 5, 2004, 9:17 AM   #11

Hi Tom,
As I said, I liked your shot and only suggested the use of slight fill (using a reflector, or foam, etc) as a method of enhancing it further in the future. I didn't realize it was a 'one of those moments' type shot where you either grab it or you don't - and can't take time for additional setup with more equipment. It's fine as it is in its original state, especially given the situation. Natural light can be difficult to deal with and getting a good, quick candid like this on the spur of the moment can be very rewarding, as your shot shows.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:16 PM   #12

Hi Flint (and others)

Don't worry, I find all your suggestions helpful, though it is true that in the moment, so to speak, I didn't have much choice regarding the lighting. Still, I wouldn't have posted the shot if I couldn't take constructive comments. That's why we're all here. (actually I find that most people around here are perhaps too polite to give opinions at times)

Oh, well. Thanks for the comments. As I said in an earlier post, this is new territory for me - you can't learn without trying.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:26 PM   #13

Tom, what kind of camera do you have? When i suggested fill in flash I just meant the basic flash on your camera. It may not have suited the photo but it was just a thought:-)was not meant to start a big conversation:lol:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:35 PM   #14

big conversations are good

especially about photography technique!

everyone learns that way

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 8:42 PM   #15

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Tom, what kind of camera do you have? When i suggested fill in flash I just meant the basic flash on your camera. It may not have suited the photo but it was just a thought:-)was not meant to start a big conversation:lol:
Hi Julie;

I'm using a Kodak DX6490, and I could have/should have used a fill flash. Don't worry, I'm not offended; I'm actually learning here. :-)

Tom
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:10 PM   #16

I actually hate flash photography:-)I will avoid using anything but natural light as much as possible. It is not always a good thing for me and my photos though.:roll:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:32 AM   #17

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I actually hate flash photography:-)I will avoid using anything but natural light as much as possible. It is not always a good thing for me and my photos though.:roll:
Hi Julie;

I don't so much dislike flash photography, butthe lens adaptor on my dx6490 tends to create dark interferance on flash shots. I'm thinking of picking up a flash bracket and a PC flash unit (is that the terminology?) 99% of my shots are existing light shots anyway.

Regards,

Old Oct 10, 2004, 11:39 AM   #18

I like it. First impression was only positive, that guy has character lines indeed and I can see why you didn't feel like you were imposing on him. After reading comments I stick with my first impression.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"PS - Perhaps you could have used a little reflector to fill in the shadow slightly but I'm sure that the guy would have had second thoughts about permissions had you broken open the Photoflex.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 9:03 PM   #19

Hi Tom,

I have to laugh because I was taking outside pictures at a work event and it was so sunny. I was getting shadows on all my pictures. Luckly,a kind professional photographer showed me how to position people with relation to the sun and to use my flash outside to fill in shadows. It helped, but I still found it difficult with the bright sun. I love your photo, this gentleman had a lot of character in his face.I amglad we learn a lot on this forum, everyone is so helpful. I need it. I have a picture on the forum called face painting and you can see the shadows on the little girl.

Regards,

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:49 PM   #20

Nadia wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tom,

I amglad we learn a lot on this forum, everyone is so helpful. I need it. I have a picture on the forum called face painting and you can see the shadows on the little girl.

Regards,

Nadia
I have had the good fortune to share in a couple of on-line communities. They are a blessing (when they aren't abused) This forum is a good one; trust me, I've seen others.

By the way, I've seen your shot of the little girl. She is very charming. A nice shot, too.

Regards, (and thanks for the kind words)