Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Hi there;

While I have been getting quite comfortable with all sorts of shots, I have rarely ventured into the "people shots" section. Up till now, my only human subject has been my wife, who is patient and long-suffering.

Today, however, I was taking some action shots at the local Kart Track. This gentleman was the oldest competitor at 67. He consented to a quick shot, but didn't give his name. His friends told me he won every class he entered - it's a Suzuka track (like Suzuki, only different) an dI guess he was the Masters Champ.

I like the shot because it captures my first impressions of a very interesting character. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 10:59 PM   #2

I recently became interested in photographing people, too. After a few years of outdoor scenery, architecture, plant and wildlife...my gaze shifted to humans. You get the right one and boy, you can get a lot of great shots, learn a lot, even share ideas on how a shot ought to be taken. Can't do that with trees, bugs, mountains or statues. I think we're on to something! I like the shot you posted. Lots of character in the face. Man looks like he's seen a lot, and done a lot. You captured that. Good job.

Kennethd
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:22 PM   #3

a good shot but a fill in flash would have helped show up his face.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:59 PM   #4

Sorry alady40-- if you fill in the face and even out the light, you eliminate most of the great character in this wonderful shot. A little catch light in the eyes would be ideal, but this is a very cool portrait!
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:23 PM   #5

I'm btwn alady and Scotious on this. A good portrait such as this usually benefits from somewhat harsh lighting and ratios, especially with men with defined faces. In this case, I think a little more fill would have helped, as this approaches nearly split light. Maybe just a reflector or piece of foamboard on subject right. I agree about the catch lights also, but the natural light is causing a squint. Overall, a nice shot with lots of character.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:06 PM   #6

Hi there;

Thanks for the comments. I really should stay out of this, because the discussion is going on very well without me. However, the title of this thread is misleading. I realized after I had posted the shot that I should have labeled it "candid" as there was no opportunity for setup or lighting etc. In fact, this gentleman was standing in the very spot where I met him. I shook his hand, got his story (from his friends) and asked if I could take a shot. I stepped back three steps and clicked the shutter.

Still... I like the lighting overall. I'd never really photographed a stranger before. I'm pleased with my first try at it. I'll have another go soon.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Old Oct 4, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Hi there;

Thanks for the comments. I really should stay out of this, because the discussion is going on very well without me. However, the title of this thread is misleading. I realized after I had posted the shot that I should have labeled it "candid" as there was no opportunity for setup or lighting etc. In fact, this gentleman was standing in the very spot where I met him. I shook his hand, got his story (from his friends) and asked if I could take a shot. I stepped back three steps and clicked the shutter.

Still... I like the lighting overall. I'd never really photographed a stranger before. I'm pleased with my first try at it. I'll have another go soon.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Hey Tom,
I took the liberty of changing your title to reflect what you wanted. I like the image & it would have been hard to capture it if you started whipping out reflectors & stuff :O (although a white paper plate in your left hand would have done a lot)
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:09 PM   #8

As I recall, there was a burger on my paper plate.:-)

Tom
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:15 PM   #9

hmm...i agree about the "little more fill" statement, and the reflector would be good...

but the strong lighting is very nice...

not bad for a first tom

aaand....you asked a complete stranger if you could take a photo of him!

thats not so easy

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:45 PM   #10

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
aaand....you asked a complete stranger if you could take a photo of him!

thats not so easy

Vito

No... considering they had just asked me which paper I was with and I had to explain that I was just a voyeur. (not in those words. Actually I think I said something like "it's just a hobby." For their reaction look here.:arrow::roll:

Tom