Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:40 AM   #1

Hi All,

I have recently joined a Camera Club to motivate me to go out and take more pics and you never know possibly to learn something while I'm at it! The Club holds a monthly competition amongst the members and I intend to submit some photos for the next competition. It will bemy first time entering photos for judgementso I want to make a good impression. Basically I have a bunch of photos that I need to pick two entries from and I would love to have your opinions to help me make a decision.

The competition is themed "People At Work" with two photos maximum per entrant, Black & Whites only. I have 11 photos to choose from so instead of posting them here and clogging up the thread you can find the photos at the following link - Don't worry, there are no annoying pop-ups!

http://www.dan.fotodock.co.uk/c311389.html

I will be happy to return the favour for anyone who has any comments, suggestions or ideas - good or bad!
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:00 AM   #2

I like the shot of the the guys playing their music in the street:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:00 AM   #3

Hi,
Without a doubt the referee with the football and the first one.
They both are very special.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The Footballer, the Martial Artist and the Musicians are all street performers in Barcelona. I photographed the musicians in the Gothic Quarter and the others were along La Rambla.

I like the first photo of the Martial artist but I must admit to Photoshopping it, I deliberately blurred the background to highlight the subject and reduce the effect of the diagonal tree-trunk which I feel is a very annoying out-of-context element. If you look at the wall the subject is standing on you can see where I mistakenly blurred that along with the background, something a properly focused exposure (or a clever photoshopper) wouldn't have done! The second image of this subject is unaltered save for turning it from colour to black and white. I am slightly concerned over entering the first as the Club has its fair share of digital-skeptics.

The musicians with the mother and child is also one of my favourites and far better in B&W then the original colour shot. I particularly like the composition of that picture.

Another one of my favourites is the picture of the Fisherman heading to sea. As it is a local picture I feel it might go across well.

Your opinions are much appreciated
Old Oct 14, 2004, 8:19 AM   #5

I like the soccer ("football"):blah:and the two "Buskers" in the last picture.

Good work.

cfrick
cfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 7:56 PM   #6

I like the band ones too:|
hackphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:52 AM   #7

The soccer ball picture was the best. I love the expression you capture on the ref.

PHil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:51 AM   #8

The Footballer is one I like too, but everyone thinks he is a referee. I guess that is because the conversion from Colour to B&W darkened the shirt enough to nake him look like one.

Actually he is a street performer along La Rambla of Barcelona. He is actually quite a sad character. I was watching him one day as he was trying to compete with the other street entertainers for the attentions of the tourists. The day I photographed him there was a large group watching another performer directly behind me and no matter what he did he couldn't attract their attention. He is a grumpy looking old codger and has some newspapers laid out on the ground around him where he is photographed front-page with travelling football supporters coming to see their team play Barcelona FC (he is wearing a Barcelona shirt not a referees shirt) - perhaps reminders of better times. The lines of his face and the bandage of his right knee suggest he is well past the age he should have given up doing this, but he keeps on going.

Quite a sad character really. Unfortunately my photograph doesn't come close to capturing nearly anything of this story - Oh well, maybe if I go back in a year or two and he is still there I could do a better job of it!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the rest of the story. I do think your photo did capture the hard life in the man's face.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote