Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:35 AM   #1

ok after the last portrait shoot which i absoulutely hated ( i'm my worst own critic), i got the offer to photograph a good friend in a national body building competition, was harder than expected due to the distance i was at ( telephoto lense all the way), the lighting which was miles away and having to rely on my lil popup flash, out of 140 photo's here are what i consider the best 3.... i think what i need is some constructive critizm from far and wide to help me make a better all round photographer

thanks
Grant
Attached Images

picnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:36 AM   #2

and number 2
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2004, 12:36 AM   #3

and the last one
Attached Images

Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:02 AM   #4

I imagine the assignment wasn't the easiest. I assume there was a crowd. From your description, this event must have presented quite a challenge. In my opinion, the shots are clear, I think you captured the moment and that feeling is transmitted to the viewer, as much as it could be. I don't find the overall appeal of the pictures is what I would call...captivating. Again, because so many aspects were beyond your control, likely under the circumstances you have the best shots possible. My imagination would tempt me to crop a bit more, and see what possibilities that might create. My opinions are limited to my own expertise which at present is considerably less than Godlike. Good work, though, on a tough assignment. Is there any chance this young lady would pose for you outside of a competition? Topresent work that you want to be judged on, I suggest you choose a project where you did have control over critical elements. That way, any comment would be less likely to arise from results beyond your control. Best Regards, thanks for sharing!

KennethD

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 1:42 AM   #5

thanks kenneth, and no it wasn't the easiest to shoot..... and out of the 3 ladies ...... The top one might do a seperate photo shoot for me if i begged her...( kidding),and kenneth for the record all 3 ladies where in the over 30 year old age bracket with one over 40, all have had kids, and all look extremely good for their age
The crowd was estimated at about 250 in a school gymnasism, and everytime i stood up to take pics i got yelled at etc.....wasn't exactly a fun thing to have when trying to take a hobby seriously, so the session was pretty much sitting down the whole time

Thanks

Grant
Old Oct 23, 2004, 3:14 AM   #6

Hi,
Nice shots taking into account the circumstances.

Next time:
Try to improve the composition a bit more, or cut off right beneath the pants, or include the whole body.

And try to get a photographers spot, most of the time when asking you can get a seat or area closer to the podium where people don't have problems with you standing.

On the other hand, if you stand up once in a while just ignore the namecalling, you want shots, so what . Sometimes you have to be brutal to get the shots.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 4:58 AM   #7

thanks frank, next time if i get to do a similar thing i will take your advice in account, Was hoping you would come on and comment...always seem to get good advice from you and kalpyso

thanx

Grant
Old Oct 23, 2004, 2:23 PM   #8

The joys of our hobby are sometimes mingled with the necessity to stick your neck out. I like Frank's comment. From time to time I have remained in my seat when I would rather have been standing up shooting pictures. Taking into account the age of these ladies, by comparison they are all youngsters to me, nothing wrong with your eyesight either. They are very worthy subjects. I wonder what your shots would have been like if you had been able to shoot from a better vantage point...I for one will keep my eye open for your next post.

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote