Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:46 PM   #1

Heres a closeup profile of a mate of mine .....I like the 85 f 1.8 lens ...but want to get the 85 f 1.4 for the bokeh !
Attached Images

Tobias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 5:34 AM   #2

unusual shot.:-)Can you explain what "bokeh " is???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:04 AM   #3

Yes ...Bokeh refers to the background and the degree of softness in the out of focus background image ...it becomes more apparent in Highlights where the IRIS has fewer blades . Some of the best lenses for nice Bokeh have 9 iris blades and they are rounded off not square so the iris forms close to a circle. The Nikon 85 f 1.4 has these and the Bokeh is really nice with this lens ..mind you they are about 4 or 5 times the cost of an 85 f1.8 ...the lens I took this photo with.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:59 PM   #4

superb.

it comforts me into the idea of bying a D70. It's exactly the kind of photos I like.

but I would have liked it focused on the right eye on the forground. Great picture anyway
Janus_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:45 PM   #5

That's fairly good bokeh from the 1.8 as it is! From my experience, the bokeh from the 70-200VR and 85/1.4 are pretty similar, and equally pleasing. The 85/1.4 is a superb lens, and may have THE BEST bokeh bar none (IMHO of course), but the cost of those two lenses plus the versatility of a zoom definitely swings in favour of the 70-200.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:03 PM   #6

I think youd be happy with the D70 ...... actually the focus was set on the mouth and nose ....very tight shot here ...maybe the foreground eye may have worked ..next time I'll try one ! The bokeh on the 85 f1.4 is way better of course because of the rounded iris blades ( mines in customs waiting clearance cant wait to try it out !) .... yes you can see the squared off iris blade in the highlights on the left ..... this 1.8 is a great lens for the money ...but the bokeh is one of the reasons I ordered the 1.4.