Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:50 AM   #1

Hi. I have a Kodak LS753. It is an all around camera. I just bought it for everday shooting but now I want to take some photos of people. Is it even a possiblity with the camera I have since it doesn't have much manual control? I understand that it will be nowhere near pro quality but it would be nice to be able to give some to family and do it myself.

What kind of environment do I need. Backdrops, lights etc.? I can't drop too much money into this right now so I am limited there. If I could get an idea on just a real basic setup(homeade), that would be great.
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:00 PM   #2

Take a look in the Flash (Studio) Forum. There are many threads there that cover basic, inexpensive lighting setups. The first thread in the forum also has tons of links covering portrait lighting.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 1:10 PM   #3

I think you've come to the right place. We have a lot in common. I bought a digital camera after having an enormous amount of fun with the one built into my video camera, and after many thousands of pictures of everything under the sun, I realized the one subject I hadn't had very much practice photographing was people. I'm trying to make up for lost time. I had a lot of practice this summer, not a lot of apparatus to worry about, natural light and natural backgrounds. Now that winter is here, I have moved indoors, and that's why I'm responding to your post. I found that family and friends are great subjects when there's an event or special occasion where they appreciate someone to record the event, and share with them by passing along the digital pictures etc. I found that my enthusiasm for experimenting with my camera would have to take a different turn if I wanted to expand my expertise, simply because you can't get family and friends to drop whatever they're doing to help out with particulair poses, or whatever else your experimenting with. Short version of this is...get yourself a model. Or I suppose if thats not possible maybe a course in photography where they specifically teach that aspect. I lucked out, and work with an art student who helps by modeling and contributing creative ideas, for our sessions. If you can find someone similiar to work with, it really helps. To browse this site and view the results of all the people who contribute in this category is very rewarding. The variety is endless, the skill levels are from one end of the spectrum to the other, and you are certain to find information you can use. When you do find a post that appeals to you, or if you are curious about something in particulair, post your query... ask questions. Iam really enjoying this aspect of photography, and am having a blast. In particulair, I (like many others as you'll tell from the flavor and volumes of comment) have been drawn to posts from members like Kalypso...and Frank Doorhof. They have posted a lot of very interesting work, and are generous enough to share their knowledge with us newbs. There are tons more who always contribute and who have been responsive (and encouraging) to my questions. If I had to delete all this and stick to ten words or less, I'd go with my opening sentence...you've come to the right place. (Now be patient and someone else with more experience will surely post more info) Best regards, hope to see some of your photos soon...

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:27 PM   #4

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...49&forum_id=54
It covers different types of lighting along with images & lighting explanations for each image.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:01 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can take some good photos worthy of being framed
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote