Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:52 PM   #11

Well, Frank, here's another perspective.

Yes, the pictures of "just the jeans" (like no 1, 5, and #2 in the other series) are fine at displaying the product, and if that's what the company wants, then OK. But advertising campaigns need an "appeal" that attracts beyond just the product itself.

Look, for example, at the Guess jeans ads from the early 1990s... like, say Guess Jeans ads. Sometimes the ads displayed models wearing the jeans, but often the jeans were hardly in the (picture) ads at all. The appeal was definitely "sex" & "bandwagon"-- buy Guess jeans to be like Cindy Crawford and to be sexy and desirable like Cindy Craford (and for the guys, look at the ads, get the word "guess" into your mind, and buy Guess jeans because your soon-to-be, sexy girlfriend will wear them too).

Many of the pictures that people here are applauding are just product pictures. And in a competitive market like blue jeans, the 'your hiney will look good' appeal is probably not enough.

Certainly #1 and 5 are nice and sexy ... but they really don't themselves tell a story or get people motivated to buy the jeans because the model is sexy.

I really like #1, 3, & 4 in the Jaimy set -- with the idea that Budha jeans are appealing to the relaxed, free, independent, rebellious spirit. With those pics, I could see some caption like "For the open road" or "Buhda jeans, because you're free" or "For all of life." But that mood is very different than the sexy display in this series. I see things like "Budha Jeans-- the first thing you'll want to put on" or "the first thing he'llw ant you to put on" or "Be bad... be Budha" or.. "The new enlightenment" or "Meditate on this!"

The ad producers (or the company) needs give you some sort of concept with which to work (and a target audience, too... as you can tell by WisconsinGirl's suggestions. She is targeting a much different age and demographic than, I think, your pictures are). IMHO I like the pictures that tell a story and create a definite appeal over those that just successfully showcase the product (of course, a great campaign does both, but...) So I don't particularly like the pics without faces (although #1 here works quite well with the contrast/black bra/partial desaturation).

Just a different view. Good luck-- I hope you receive some good feedback!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 3:00 PM   #12

It all helps out indeed, and I will be working more on it.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:29 PM   #13

edit...

nevermind...
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:19 PM   #14

Hey Frank,
Great shots as usual, I have no knowledge of proper product placement or any of that, just an idea... How about an out of focus couple under the covers in bed and the in focus jeans crumpled on the floor with just the logo showing??:blah:
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:59 AM   #15

3&1are my favorites in that order, the number 3 loses the logo company, if there is the way i will put it on the pallet on a stick or by a hot sign with a pyrograph or other instrumet, i lovely the color of the jeans with the color of the wood and the effect than make it.

Regards Luca
ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:45 PM   #16

Nice Jeans!
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:23 PM   #17

MoonGypsy wrote:
Quote:
Corine is also very distracting, but in a good way. One more suggestion, could Corine wear cowboy boots with those jeans?
Very true. I find it hard to look at #2 and #4 as product ad pict, couldn't look past beyond Corine's pretty face. And yup, I felt the boot were a bit off.

I like #1 and #5 best, #3 is ok.

I've a wierd suggestion, the idea came to me while reading perdendosi's comments. Why not shoot your models meditating or doing Yoga while in those jeans. It kind'a give the impression that the jeans are comfortable enough for such activities... besides Budha does sounds like the Buddha. Or you might want to go further by having your model stand/watching/mingling with Buddhist monks. But I guess that's a bit to ambitious or absurd. Anyway, if Pepsi did it why can't a jeans company do it? :G
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:42 AM   #18

Frank,
I've sent you my mailing address...I would like to more closely inspect the jeans. Feel free to send them filled or empty! BTW, this is our secret (like that "thing" we shared with Trixie...oh [email protected], can everybody see this)???

:blah:
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:59 AM   #19

The yoga is a pretty good idea I will look into that.
At the moment it's very quit from the Budha front, they like the shots and will deliver new goods but that can take a while.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote