Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:12 AM   #1

I tried to change things with the lighting and Jesse swung into a few different poses, my camera still baffles me from time to time, but I'm starting to see when it gives me softer shots, and when not to use them. We are having fun though! Best regards,

KennethD
Attached Images

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:17 AM   #2

Another one, I know the light is harsh, but I wanted to post some of these just to show you we're trying. Besides, we had a wee break from the twenty below zero temps, and it felt great, so we loved our work! Best regards, and feel free to comment, especially on ideas for me to use light to it's best advantage with Jesse. We haven't exhausted all the things we want to try but I'm still scoping out some lighting stuff to buy.

KennethD
Attached Images

Old Jan 7, 2005, 2:23 PM   #3

You got the background lighting down...now put some on the model :blah:
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:45 AM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
You got the background lighting down...now put some on the model :blah:
I'm trying!!! It's not as easy as you make it look, Kalypso!! Keep encouraging us newbs though, so one day we can at least T R Y to give you a run for your money...Best regards,

KennethD
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:59 AM   #5

kenneth

what are you using as your background light source?

perhaps if you moved her forward and light her up from about 45degrees in front(to your right) and then bring it up about 45degrees.
you can shoot her from the front without having to worry about shadows behind her and you'd still have a background even though its kind of dark but that's okay(for now).

importantly, you'd have some pleasing pictures with character because the picture isn't so flat(light from the front).

- it all sounds so simple *sigh*
my .02 cents
berto
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks Berto, I am still very much a newb. I do take advice seriously, but I have virtually no lighting equipment. I typically just use whatever I can improvise and experiment up a storm. I want to continue doing this for a little while more just to get a feel for various lighting setups. But soon I will venture forth and buy something. These pics had approx. 1000 watts (some kind of halogen) behind a solid color blue sheet, and a couple of 100 watt bulbs (usual household type) in front and above her. I shifted the lights around a bit here and there and turned some off etc. to see how it would look. Don't laugh! We're having fun, and learning. I'll have some better lighting soon. Best regards,

KennethD
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:41 AM   #7

Hi,
Try to open up the front a bit.
Put a light slightly above her pointing down from 2 mtrs in front.

Also work a bit more on the poses, they look a bit unconfortable.
It's a long way but the start is here.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:43 PM   #8

Frank Doorhof wrote:
Quote:
Hi,
Try to open up the front a bit.
Put a light slightly above her pointing down from 2 mtrs in front.

Also work a bit more on the poses, they look a bit unconfortable.
It's a long way but the start is here.
Hi Frank, you're right, the poses were uncomfortable for her. Leaning back and rotating her torso got tiring after a bit. Funny how hindsight is always 20/20. We were trying to catch a pose that took advantage of her trim figure, but still looked feminine. To my eye if she rotates her shoulders too muchthe pose comes off looking too much like a bodybuilder pose, because she is very trim in the waist. But we would still like to include some pose that accents the bust to some degree. So next time, we'll look at all the comments and in addition to lessening the backlight, we'll try for a more natural pose, and get the lighting at the point you (and most everyone else) suggest...above and in front. I don't mind at all the thoughts that it will take a whileto accomplish what we're aiming for, this is (as you pointed out to me previously) indeed... the best hobbyin the world. Sincere thanks to you and everyone that takes the time to review these pictures, and pass on advice andcomments. It certainly adds to our fun and learning. Best regards,

KennethD