Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:05 PM   #1

Here's a candid shot I got at a motorcycle rally last weekend. Many thanks to Lisa, the very nice girl in the photo, for giving me permission to use it.
This picture is my very first experiment with using photoshop to do some post processing... there were other girls, band equipment, etc in the background which were very distracting to the eye so I duplicated the layer, used to clone tool to remove most of the stuff from the background then applied a gaussian blur to smooth things out a little... then the long slow job of erasing everything but the girl from the mask layer.
Obviously being a candid shot I didn't have any control over the pose, which personally I think is lovelly anyway :-), but any comments on how else the photo could be improved are most welcome.
Photo taken with Fujifile S5500, ISO100, 1/60sec, F3.1, with flash.
Attached Images

NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:53 PM   #2

I see some edge artifacts along the front of her jeans & the front side of her hair (the part facing her back). You can ususally blow the image up to around 300-600% & correct it (ususally using the blur tool at the low end or you can correct it pixel-by-pixel at the high end).
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments Kalypso,
The lighting on the stage was made up of several bright coloured (mainly red/orange) spots which the band had set up, so the glow on edge of her jeans is from those, likewise with the hair. I was actually of two minds as to whether or not to leave it. If I reduce the opacity of the layer that is hiding all the detail behind her, which is also lit with the red/orange spots, then it seems to look much more natural with that slight glow there.
However, you are right that it doesn't really look right with the dark background in the shot I posted. Will go have a play with it and see what I can do.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 6:09 PM   #4

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I see some edge artifacts along the front of her jeans & the front side of her hair (the part facing her back). You can ususally blow the image up to around 300-600% & correct it (ususally using the blur tool at the low end or you can correct it pixel-by-pixel at the high end).

I dont want to sound stupid but can someone explain exactly what artifacts are.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:10 PM   #5

Any chance we can see the original to get an idea of what you were trying to deal with? Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:43 PM   #6

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
I dont want to sound stupid but can someone explain exactly what artifacts are.
Well, to quote the dictionary definition:
A structure or feature not normally present but visible as a result of an external agent or action
Which in this context, if I understand correctly, basically means the bright orangeish coloured highlights shouldn't be there... in actual fact those particular highlights should be there as they are due to the lighting, but what I have done to the background makes them look out of place.
One of the most common artifacts seen in digital photography is probably the purple fringe which seems to mysteriously appear at high contrast edges.. I did see an explanation once as to why this happens but I can't remember it right now.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:49 PM   #7

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
Any chance we can see the original to get an idea of what you were trying to deal with? Best regards
ok, here is the original (scaled down to a more forum friendly size)
Attached Images

Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:34 PM   #8

Wow, no matter how much I hate to say it...it looks like her crotch is on fire!

There, now I feel better... :blah:
Old Feb 11, 2005, 2:01 AM   #9

Very nice shot, love the anonymity (don't think that's the correct spelling ).

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:56 PM   #10

I don't have any specific remarks, but one in general. How come this never happens to me?
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote