Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:51 AM   #1

Back in September, I took a cruise to the Western Carribean. Our ship got diverted to Veracruz because of Hurricane Ivan. Coming back from some Mayan ruins we stopped by this small town and walked around. It was getting late in the afternoon about an hour before sundown. I was the first person to get back on the bus.

Out of my window saw this woman, who I believe is of Mayan decent, was trying to make her last sale of the day. She initially had her back to me. So, I had my Panasonic FZ1v2 up and ready. She finally gave up on the sale. The instant she turned around, I snapped this shot. Unfortunately, it looks like she didn't have a good day.

Seeing a recent photo taken in Mexico brought her back to my mind. I pray that she is doing OK.

Later,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:52 PM   #2

I don't want to be a critic, but... In my opinion, if you were to crop out some of the left side,specifically the orange post and sign which are distracting, I believe it would enhance your photo. It is a good image, but has too much going on that detracts from her expression.
MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:26 PM   #3

MoonGypsy, I do appreciate your feedback. Unfurtunately, my 5mp Panasonic FZ-20 got damaged two days before during a downpour at the Chichen Itza pyramid. I had to use my 2mp FZ1v2 that I brought as a backup. I am thankful that I did bring the FZ1 or I would not had been able to get this picture. BTW, after the FZ20 dried out on the day we departed the cruise ship, it miracously started working again. It doesn't seem to have suffered any long term damage.

After saying all that, I had to crop the image down to 320x480 to get rid of the surrounding "clutter". I agree this looks better but I was trying to avoid such severe cropping.

Is this better?

At least, the photo will now fit the 320x480 screen on my PalmOne Tungsten T3 display.

Thanks,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4

Looks good to me. She is so festivly dressed, but her facial expression tells a different story.

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:50 AM   #5

I dont mind the orange sign but the leg on the right was more distracting so I removed it to see what difference it would make.

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

On the other hand,the food menu helps to tell the story.

Rick
Rick Berber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:02 AM   #7

I like the original, it tells the full story.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote