Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:53 AM   #1

"Champagne Gold"

Don't know whether this works for any of you, but this is about as creative as I get when it comes to photoshop. I gave three framed photos to the bride and groom. Two were B&W; this being the third. Most of my friends who've seen this said they like it, but one colleague commented that it looks 'cheap'. For those of us who don't read Chinese, the characters next to their heads read "[The] Lim's Banquet". Besides the obvious, the image was cropped and a 20% unsharp mask was applied. I'm interested to read your comments and how it could be improved.

Equipment: Leica Digilux 2, f2.2, 1/60 sec.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Imagi..._2_Lim_Wedding
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:14 AM   #2

I dont think the cheap comment is very fair.

I thought this would be another option you could do in photoshop

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:20 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Dave,

I like your version. After all you gave them a plain version too.

Actually I was browsing the Leica pages last night and my wife just happened to see your image "ooh that's nice" she said.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:49 AM   #4

I also see nothing "cheap" about it . . I would have been pleased to have this type of photo included in my wedding portfolio.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:51 AM   #5

dave, maybe you should've kept the bride and groom in color and made the background black and white.. to emphasize the main subject.
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6

I think it's a beauty! I also like aladyforty's version...it's just an all around good photo! Yep, a keeper.....:-)

StitchBabe
StitchBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:43 PM   #7

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I'm not sure that the compliments are necessarily deserved. :roll: I do, however, look forward to your critiques and suggestions on how I could improve. Aladyforty, may I ask you how you are able to selectively desaturate the background color? Though I have used it for many years, I'm a photoshop basic function user only and admittedly don't know a lot of techniques. My guess is that you would select the couple and then inverse the selection before making the change? Thanks.
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:44 AM   #8

davephoto wrote:
Quote:
Aladyforty, may I ask you how you are able to selectively desaturate the background color? Though I have used it for many years, I'm a photoshop basic function user only and admittedly don't know a lot of techniques. My guess is that you would select the couple and then inverse the selection before making the change? Thanks.

VERY easy, make a duplicate layer of the photo in photoshop, desaturate that layer then use the eraser to erase the desaturated areas you want back to original color, merge and you have your image:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9

I'd prefer there be no distractions from the bride and groom. Here, the subject is the Champagne. Is that what you want? If I were the bride, I'd not want to play second fiddle to a bottle of Champagne. :-)

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:27 PM   #10

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
davephoto wrote:
Quote:
Aladyforty, may I ask you how you are able to selectively desaturate the background color? Though I have used it for many years, I'm a photoshop basic function user only and admittedly don't know a lot of techniques. My guess is that you would select the couple and then inverse the selection before making the change? Thanks.

VERY easy, make a duplicate layer of the photo in photoshop, desaturate that layer then use the eraser to erase the desaturated areas you want back to original color, merge and you have your image:-)

Another technique -- create a "hue/saturation" ADJUSTMENT LAYER. Set the layer's adjustment to 0 saturation, then, in the adjustment layer MASK, mask out all things you want in color. This method has a couple of advantages. First, because you're not "erasing" anything, you can more easily add to or substract from the amount that you want desaturation by adding to or deleting from the layer mask (instead of having to redo the desaturation layer if you erased too much and don't have the ability to go back in the history).

Not that alady's method is wrong -- it's great. I submit another alternative

P.S. I love the photo -- all versions!

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote