Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

playing with borders, I have no idea why i cant get this photo to load at a reasonable size without it looking bad

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2

heres a better size

Old Feb 25, 2005, 1:24 AM   #3

Hello alady,

The border you've created is pretty and will probably work well in a photo album.

I prefer that borders and mats lead the viewer's eyes to the subject and help keep the attention on the eyes of the subject. Here, my eyes want to bounce back to the pretty border.

I understand that you desire a "fun" border but also wonder if you can create a fun border that doesn't compete with the center of interest.

I hope you do not mind a critique. Such a fine effort deserves more than the usual it looks good type of comments.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:04 AM   #4

I'm not usually part of the me-too crowd but I have to agree.. That cute little girl should be the star of the photo. I think a simple black or white frame would work better, or none at all.. It's a bit distracting. I think this border would work better around a group photo of her next birthday party. Then again, I'm a simple frame type person. Never cared much for the fancy stuff.. Perhaps just the inner woven frame before the bubbles.

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:49 AM   #5

heyyyyyy....whattaya think o'that?? It never occured to me that the border was competing with the subject, but...N O W that it's been mentioned, it makes me look twice. I reckon that the soft edge you've placed around the young girl acts as a reasonable buffer between the frame and the subject, without too much distraction. I believe the mind is capable of absorbing more than one attraction at a time, and because this is a beautiful young child, the frame goes well to compliment her appeal. Pretty frame, for a pretty child is my perspective. I can't imagine a pleasantly appealing picture like that being surrounded by a plug ugly frame. Forgive the hyperbole. But deliberate exaggeration makes a point. Very good food for thought though, it's a point I will tuck away...nice picture by the way Julie. Definately a keeper! Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:09 AM   #6

Oh dang:roll:Now Im gonna have to reprint this shot with a different border, I had only just printed it out for a club competition, come to think of it you are right, it does over shadow her.

anyone else out there want to add to the comments so I cant make up my mind????
Old Feb 25, 2005, 3:44 AM   #7

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Oh dang:roll: Now Im gonna have to reprint this shot with a different border, I had only just printed it out for a club competition, come to think of it you are right, it does over shadow her.

anyone else out there want to add to the comments so I cant make up my mind????
Display your image full screen after you create a border, mat or frame. Stand back several feet from your monitor and look at it. Does the completed image act like a tunnel drawing your eyes from edge to center of interest or do other elements attract attention? When I stand back and look at your current image, my eyes bounce around. The buffer previously mentioned is not large enough to compensate. IMHO

You have a beautiful portrait of an adorable young girl, however.

Rodney
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:17 AM   #8

Ok, heres what Ioriginally had chosen

Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:34 AM   #9

I like this one much better. Beautiful!

Rodney
Old Feb 25, 2005, 4:39 AM   #10

thanks, now that I really look at it, the pretty border will suit as giving to the childs mother, I have found that people not so into photography love that kind of thing. The plain one is what i will enter in our club contest next month.:-)