Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,724
Default

Can I H E L P you...?
Attached Images
 
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:19 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BrierS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 157
Default

Nice photo and attractive model. How would it look if you duplicated the "glimmer" from the right eye to the left eye?
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 122
Default

I like this photo very much and as previously commented, your model is very attractive indeed. I would, however, think the picture would be stronger if her left arm were also hanging down or she wasn't holding the handphone. I keep thinking to myself, why is she holding it?

But YES, she could definitely help me. :-)
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

The following elements stand out and ruin an otherwise nice attempt.

1. Ugly blown highlight on her nose. If you had spot metered on her nose, this probably wouldn't have happened.

2. Specular highlights on her chin, mouth and right arm are not attractive. These are possibly small patterns of light passing through the trees.

3. Shadowing below the eyes looks like dark circles.

4. Over exposed hand.

5. Holding the phone up front while looking at the lens seems a bit out of context here. Would have been better if the phone was up to her ear. If the phone had been up as though she was using it, there wouldn't be competing elements as you have here.

6. Unusual cropping at right elbow and left wrist. A general rule to remember is to avoid cropping at the joints.

7. Rather than support the subject(your model), the background is a distraction and your subject isn't isolated well. It is important that you know the limitations of your equipment. When you cannot get a blurred background because of the lens, then find a scene where the background isn't so prominent. Leaning against a plain wall of some sort would have worked better. IMHO


8. You also have blown the shadows on the areas between the face and hair. Not a big issue for online display, but produce unpredictable results in prints. Good fill light placement will help prevent blown shadows.

You expressed to me an interest in portraiture so my comments are intended as constructive criticism. I hope the comments will be helpful for you.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
kadok6330's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 480
Default

Yes i can help you, my cel phone number is 514-245-... Nah, email me instead:-)
kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,724
Default

davephoto wrote:
Quote:
I like this photo very much and as previously commented, your model is very attractive indeed. I would, however, think the picture would be stronger if her left arm were also hanging down or she wasn't holding the handphone. I keep thinking to myself, why is she holding it?

But YES, she could definitely help me. :-)
This was an experiment to capture the look of someone annoyed at being interupted, while taking a call. The impatient look was meant to convey a "go away, you're bothering me" signal. Which is why the phone is in a prominent place, to be seen as an aid in getting the message out. I love all the technical dissection, butwe shoot mainly for fun, and don't worry a whole lot about the details, unless of course it turns out completely pershnockity. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
RodneyBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 966
Default

KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
davephoto wrote:
Quote:
I like this photo very much and as previously commented, your model is very attractive indeed. I would, however, think the picture would be stronger if her left arm were also hanging down or she wasn't holding the handphone. I keep thinking to myself, why is she holding it?

But YES, she could definitely help me. :-)
This was an experiment to capture the look of someone annoyed at being interupted, while taking a call. The impatient look was meant to convey a "go away, you're bothering me" signal. Which is why the phone is in a prominent place, to be seen as an aid in getting the message out. I love all the technical dissection, but we shoot mainly for fun, and don't worry a whole lot about the details, unless of course it turns out completely pershnockity. Best regards,

KennethD
Doesn't work...Looks more like she couldn't wait for the nearest rest area and stopped on the side of the road. :evil:
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,724
Default

RodneyBlair wrote:
Quote:
KENNETHD wrote:
Quote:
davephoto wrote:
Quote:
I like this photo very much and as previously commented, your model is very attractive indeed. I would, however, think the picture would be stronger if her left arm were also hanging down or she wasn't holding the handphone. I keep thinking to myself, why is she holding it?

But YES, she could definitely help me. :-)
This was an experiment to capture the look of someone annoyed at being interupted, while taking a call. The impatient look was meant to convey a "go away, you're bothering me" signal. Which is why the phone is in a prominent place, to be seen as an aid in getting the message out. I love all the technical dissection, but we shoot mainly for fun, and don't worry a whole lot about the details, unless of course it turns out completely pershnockity. Best regards,

KennethD
Doesn't work...Looks more like she couldn't wait for the nearest rest area and stopped on the side of the road. :evil:
Tsk...tsk.... Rodney...

I fear I have vexed you...
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 1:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,724
Default

RodneyBlair wrote:
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:30 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 72
Default

A small observation if I am allowed :-)

From an unbiased point of view, I was hoping you two don't allow this to develop and spoil an otherwise very good forum. Best I have seen.

I haven't posted any photographs myself yet but I regularly look in to enjoy the examples shown and have learned a lot from the advice given.

Kennethd - no need to take things so personally, I think although Rodney can be a little blunt, I believe his comments arepurlely to help.

RodneyBlair - why not change your profile photo to something a little friendlier, that way your comments might be taken in the context I'm sure they are meant. :blah:

I think it's good to have the technical advice thats been given recentlyto the examples shown, as well as the "nice shot" "excellent example" "more please" type comments that have been very common.

The idea is to learn and improve after all ?

Fantastic site. :G
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:29 AM.