Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:24 PM   #11

rameezrazzak wrote:
Quote:
I am also posting more photos of the same place, I have to take the risk of somebody getting bored, but I just had to post them!
You are not boring us.. These are the kinds of photos I like, that really tell a story.. Sunsets are nice but how many can we really stand to look at in two dimensions?? This is the kind of stuff we NEVER see in the media around here. Not sensational enough.

You said the boys' pay was about $7 US.. How much time does it take him to earn that?? A day? Week??, Month??? I'm betting it is not an hour.. You also said the boy probably would like to have a bicycle of his own but can't afford it.. It's amazing, the differences.. Around here, on any given trash pick up day in the warm months, he could go around and find enough junked bikes to build himself one AND have a few to sell for profit. Could probably pick a perfectly usable one out of the trash that some spoiled brat didn't want because it was the wrong brand name or color. Then it just sat until the parents got tired of looking at it. Amazing..

Keep the pics coming but be safe while doing it..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:19 PM   #12

jsiladi wrote:

Quote:
You are not boring us..
Definitely not !!!

Quote:
These are the kinds of photos I like, that really tell a story.. Sunsets are nice but how many can we really stand to look at in two dimensions?? This is the kind of stuff we NEVER see in the media around here. Not sensational enough.
I agree wholeheartedly, we can all appreciate lovely sunsets, landscapes, people pics, etc, but it is often difficult to appreciate totally different ways of life without pictures like yours and the information you bring to us.

Thank you again.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:42 PM   #13

Yes,it is my pleasure to view your pics and read your descriptions.....keep it up.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:43 PM   #14

Fascinating shots and stories! You're not boring me at all!!!! Keep it up!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:22 AM   #15

Thankyou so much for your encouraging comments! But I believe in honesty in comments, and I would actually be happy if you somehow criticize my photos, either technically or whatever....

jsiladi, unfortunately, the salary is a monthly salary. Like I said, the real "pay" is that he learns how to fix bicycles, and when he grows "old" (that means around 18 )he can open up a small shop of the same kind, or work as a skilled labour with a better pay at some other small shop.

I wanted a camera exactly for this reason, to show the world the insight in the lives of ordinary people in my country, as I myself found such photos or documentaries very interesting. I'm just very afraid in going out with my camera, the crime in my area has increased, and mobile phones and cameras are snatched at public places everyday... it's almost a guarantee that if I go out at a busy public place, I would be robbed off my camera... I can post infinite photos telling similiar stories, just if somehow I get some security....

Rameez Razzak
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:51 AM   #16

Rameez, can I suggest you post a couple of your images in the Critiques and Techniques Forum,http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=90

If you ask for critiques in that forum you will getcritiques of your work and hopefully lots of help.

It has recently been set up just for this purpose. In this forum people tend to appreciate and comment on members work, but don't really like to offer criticism, not any more anyway.Post your images one or two at a time so members can concentrate and scrutinize them thoroughly.

I would just like to add that given the circumstances in which you are taking these photos, you are not doing a bad job at all.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:26 PM   #17

rameezrazzak wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou so much for your encouraging comments! But I believe in honesty in comments, and I would actually be happy if you somehow criticize my photos, either technically or whatever....
I think our comments are completely honest.. At first glance I didn't like the curtains getting in the way but given your circumstances, there's probably no other way to get the shot.. These are candids, and as such, you can't really spend a lot of time setting things up with lighting, poses, etc. You probably can't even use a flash.. So given that, stuff is going to be in the way. I mean, if I had my druthers, I would like to see these shots from street level rather than from above.. I think your survival and safety are a little more important though..

Quote:

jsiladi, unfortunately, the salary is a monthly salary. Like I said, the real "pay" is that he learns how to fix bicycles, and when he grows "old" (that means around 18 ) he can open up a small shop of the same kind, or work as a skilled labour with a better pay at some other small shop.
That's kind of what I figured..

Quote:

I wanted a camera exactly for this reason, to show the world the insight in the lives of ordinary people in my country, as I myself found such photos or documentaries very interesting. I'm just very afraid in going out with my camera, the crime in my area has increased, and mobile phones and cameras are snatched at public places everyday... it's almost a guarantee that if I go out at a busy public place, I would be robbed off my camera... I can post infinite photos telling similiar stories, just if somehow I get some security....

Rameez Razzak
This is true everywhere.. One way to increase safety is to travel in numbers. A lone target is much easier prey than a group.. I'm not suggesting that it won't happen to a group but it's less likely. At least here it is.. How you carry the camera may be an invitation to thieves as well.. In the cities where there are a lot of tourists, you can tell who is native and who isn't by the way the women carry thier purses.. The native will have the strap around her body and the tourist will have it hanging from her shoulder. Guess which one is the most likely to get snatched...

Good luck.. Take what you can and post when you can...

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:31 PM   #18

I have a way of justifying my lack of skill in photgraphy by sayingit's about the experience, it's not about the art.

In your case, it isALL about the experience. Beingthere, in the moment, and being able to share it with us. I do hope you'll continue to show us your world. Be safe and be peaceful. Thanks. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:46 AM   #19

You're right, a lone target really is much more likely to be attacked than a group.. I'd get some friends to do with me when I'd go to shoot. At 18, I'm not that young, but compared to most photographers in my country, I'm a kid..Thatmakes me more suceptable.. I don't think more photos of the same subject would be intereting, so I'd wait until I find some other interesting thing.. And about my safety, it's as safe as it can ever get.. I live at the first floor of the building, and this shop is just under the front building... hardly 20 feet away... and the black grill you might see, that covers my balcony. I shoot through it.

Thankyou all for taking interest!

Rameez Razzak
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:24 AM   #20

Wonderful pictures they really paint a look from where you life, really strong.
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote