Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:07 PM   #1

I took this very quick snapshot through my apartment balcony, in Karachi, Pakistan.

It is a common site. This is a small bicycle repair shop, and most clients are as old as the subject, who want their bicycles fixed. He is a typical "helper", the main owner of the shop is a grown up man, who hires a boy to help him around. Usually, the pay for such young helper is the absolute minnimum (about 7 US$). The real "pay" is that he learns the art, and can start to work on his own once he's grown up. Financially poor parents prefer this type of education over the usual kind, as its result is sure to come.

Attached Images

rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:15 PM   #2

This was also taken at the same place. The clothes and skin colour show that he's from a villiage, came to the big city Karachi to find work. His appearance shows he's financially weak, and his facial expressions reveal his inner pain. He was here to fix his old bicycle. He's smoking a Pakistani version of a ciggarette (only popular among the poor).
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:59 PM   #3

Fascinating and thought provoking images. I find the cultural differences in this world very interesting. You have captured a fine example.

Thank you for sharing rameezrazzak.

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

Thanks. These photos are technically very bad, I know. These were taken the second day with my new Panasonic FZ10. I let the camera do all the work at that time.
Through my photos, I would try to bring up the reality of life from a different part of the world... but this isn't easy, as a camera would very easilly be snatched at gun-point right away..

Thanks for posting the comments.

Rameez Razzak
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:00 AM   #5

rameezrazzak wrote:
Quote:
but this isn't easy, as a camera would very easilly be snatched at gun-point right away..
That doesn't bear thinking about, please take care enjoying your new camera and we will enjoy your images.

Kind regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:32 AM   #6

Great photos (sure don't look "technically very bad" to me !) Thanks so much for the informationalso, you see the photos in an entirely different way knowing the story behind them. Very thought provoking. Take care and I look forward to seeing more of your shots

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:44 AM   #7

Thanks!
I've taken more photos of the same subject. In this photo, you can see the whole picture, the Master working with his student, while many, more fortunate, and impatient kids wait for their bicycles to get fixed.
I am also posting more photos of the same place, I have to take the risk of somebody getting bored, but I just had to post them!
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:52 AM   #8

The master, (addressed as "Jaafer" by the kids) is oiling a bicycle. A kid is waiting for him to take money from his hand, so that he can go back to race around on his bike with his friends. The other kid, in white, the way he's holding the handle of his bike unneccessarilly, shows how impatient he is in getting his bike fixed. The clothes they are wearing might seem strange to you. They are known as "Shalwaar Kameez", the national dress of Pakistan. It's made of soft material, a baggy pant and a long,full sleeved,knee-length shirt.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:13 AM   #9

This boy was there for no reason but curiosity. He just sat there watching the kids getting their bikes fixed. Judging from his clothes and slippers, he seems to belong from lower middle class (economical class.. Pakistani society is roughly divided into economical classes....). I am not sure about this, but it seems to me that he wants a bicycle too but can't afford one...
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:21 AM   #10

And once more, our poor subject is working on a tyre tube. You can see some money in his pocket, I can see it is a 10 Rupee note (equivalent to 0.15 US$). You can have a rough idea of how much it is worth here, by knowing this: The camera I'm using here cost 26,500 Rupees (I'm not rich, belong to a middle class family... it is more than what my family spends in a month, including all expensive education fees)

By the way, all this pics I posted were candid. I had to hide behin a curtain... that is what you might see in some photos...

Attached Images