Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > People Photos

Old Apr 4, 2005, 4:48 PM   #1

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2005, 7:53 PM   #2

sorry didnt know what you want?? comments or not???
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 8:41 PM   #3

I don't understand you comment.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 10:44 PM   #4

It looks nice to me butIm not really sure about the lighting. Perhaps a different crop as it seems a little too central, I feel as if she needs more space in the area she is looking than behind her if you get what I mean. Just my opinion:-)It's a nice candid shot though.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:44 AM   #5
djb

it's nice. the major nit for me is the background. it takes away from the woman. just my 2 cents.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 2:15 AM   #6

Meryl,
This is a very nice candid, and I'm glad to see this image here, I think you did a great job capturing her.
I don't know if you are open to it but my only constructive suggestion is to -slightly- blur or darken the background... this is only because my eye tends to start to look there instead. But honestly, there is very little to improve.

Jane
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:19 AM   #7

I think that I have discovered something about my setup that has contributed to the responses that I have been getting.

My home monitor is...to say the least...getting old (who isn't?) and doesn't have the same dynamic range as it used to. When I setup this shot at home, the background was so dark that the people in the background were not visible at all and so I did nothing to minimize them.

NOW, when I get to work and see the same shot on my much newer monitor here...I can see the background people 'pop' into view and, I agree with the suggestions from the group. (Something needs to be done to minimize the distractions they create.)

This leads me to wonder about how many different monitors there are out there. All looking at images through the deficiencies or poor setups of their monitors. I would suggest that most people don't (or even know how to) calibrate their screens and (in the case of older monitors) some may not even be capable of accurate calibration any more. I makes me hesitant to criticize someone's shot for being too dark or for having blown out highlights...maybe the shot is fine and MY monitor is lousy!

I suppose a histogram would help but, in the case of this shot for example, I set the black level from her black sweater and STILL the people are visible in the background on my work monitor (and on everybody elsess as well) but not on my home screen.

How many times have we heard people say that a shot 'looked great on the LCD but is too dark on the screen'. They could have an aging monitor like I do AND, if they brighten up the shot so it looks 'good' on THEIR monitor..it will look lousy on everybody elses'. It is difficult because you can't predict what other people's screen settings are going to be.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:30 PM   #8

My previous comment was regarding only the subject and wasn't really considering the image overall in my praise- also figured you might possibly be looking for editing advice.
I calibrate my monitor with a spyder, and on my other monitors previously, I used any and all software that I could get off the web or used Adobe. Almost every photographer I personally know also calibrates their monitor. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the enthusiast photographers on this site and other large photo forums do, at least attempt to calibrate if not completely replace their monitors if needed.

Here is a very quick edit of your picture (if you mind- I'll take it off)... and I guess this is one way to remove the background.

Jane
Attached Images

Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:18 AM   #9

Hi Meryl,

Your photo "speaks" to this forum member.

It "speaks" of the life experiences of your subject, of her inherent kindness, of her gentility.

BJane has definitely worked her magic to bring out the best in your subject.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2005, 5:50 PM   #10

Yes...very nicework. This lets the viewer settle down and see the subject without distraction. Best regards,

KennethD
KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote